Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-13-2013, 09:20 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
WOW!!! Great looking boat! I could be a little biased though haha. I was getting ready to post some pictures of my faux teak platform until I read the bottom of your last post.

I second what Traxx says about it being a surf machine! I've probably surfed more than wakeboarded this summer because I fell in love with the sport. For surfing I usually just fill the port side v-drive sack (750#) and have everybody sit on the port side. Check the wakesurf pictures thread for some examples.

For wakeboarding I run a 750# sack in each v-drive compartment, a 370# sack in the ski locker, and another 370# ski locker sack pushed all the way up in the bow walkway. That totals somewhere between 2000-2200#'s since the 750's are a little too long for the compartment and don't fill completely. Add 8 people in the boat and you get a pretty good wake (see the picture below and keep in mind I'm 6'2").

Keep up the good work!
Attached Images

Old 09-13-2013, 09:33 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Whalen, I wanted to share a tip I found. You said for surfing you are filling up 750 plus all passengers in the corner.

May I suggest, put half your passengers on the same corner. The other half in the center of the pad. I have noticed this makes a cleaner wave. Makes it taller closer to boat and doesn't allow the platform to cut off the top. Try it out just move passengers around until you see the wave not get cut off.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-13-2013, 09:50 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Whalen, I wanted to share a tip I found. You said for surfing you are filling up 750 plus all passengers in the corner.

May I suggest, put half your passengers on the same corner. The other half in the center of the pad. I have noticed this makes a cleaner wave. Makes it taller closer to boat and doesn't allow the platform to cut off the top. Try it out just move passengers around until you see the wave not get cut off.

Traxx, thanks for that tip! I'll try it Sunday and see how it works out. I'm still tweaking and fine tuning the wake, it seems like a never ending process haha.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:54 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Traxx, thanks for that tip! I'll try it Sunday and see how it works out. I'm still tweaking and fine tuning the wake, it seems like a never ending process haha.
Me too. I have really only nailed down the starboard side. Since I ride goofy obviously, funny how that works. Too bad we don;t have the same hull. Almost the same so principle should apply. I run a 540# sack and have no trouble filling it all the way. This winter I am plumbing in ballast and wakemakers were able to make me bags close to 900 pounds that will fit perfect.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:56 AM
MC Devotee

My boats a little smaller so I don't run my 540#' bags full in the rear for wakeboarding. I run about 350#'s in each and weight the bow. I found that running too much weight made the wake very rampy. Less weight with more bow weight seemed to make it more vert and I got better air. Not as big of a wake but more pop. So try that too.

Weighting the bow is critical because of the porpoising issues. However, PP stargazer fixed that as well.

I finally got a good ride behind my own boat going the same speed the whole ride. If either of you guys don't have PP yet. Make it your next upgrade. I wish I would have done it sooner.
Old 09-13-2013, 11:37 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
My boats a little smaller so I don't run my 540#' bags full in the rear for wakeboarding. I run about 350#'s in each and weight the bow. I found that running too much weight made the wake very rampy. Less weight with more bow weight seemed to make it more vert and I got better air. Not as big of a wake but more pop. So try that too.

Weighting the bow is critical because of the porpoising issues. However, PP stargazer fixed that as well.

I finally got a good ride behind my own boat going the same speed the whole ride. If either of you guys don't have PP yet. Make it your next upgrade. I wish I would have done it sooner.
Some great ideas for this weekend right here. I'll half fill the rears and keep all the bow weight in the boat, more vert would be nice!

Perfect Pass Stargazer is a lifesaver when running ballast, even my gf can drive the boat perfectly with it. Highly recommend it for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing!

P.S. - KTZ_MC, sorry for the thread jack haha.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:00 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
Some great ideas for this weekend right here. I'll half fill the rears and keep all the bow weight in the boat, more vert would be nice!

Perfect Pass Stargazer is a lifesaver when running ballast, even my gf can drive the boat perfectly with it. Highly recommend it for both wakeboarding and wakesurfing!

P.S. - KTZ_MC, sorry for the thread jack haha.
This is great!!! I love the collaboration because it is hard to find information on older boats when talking surfing. I took it out yesterday and attempted to surf with 400#'s in the ski locker and two people on the boat. The wake looked great but wasn't close to big enough to surf, therefore moving an additional ballast purchase to the top of my list...
Old 09-14-2013, 12:08 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTZ_MC View Post
This is great!!! I love the collaboration because it is hard to find information on older boats when talking surfing. I took it out yesterday and attempted to surf with 400#'s in the ski locker and two people on the boat. The wake looked great but wasn't close to big enough to surf, therefore moving an additional ballast purchase to the top of my list...
What speed are you doing for surf? I run about 10.4 average.

For surfing I'd say fill your locker bag as much as you can. The more weight in the corner and the taller the wave.

Also, I see a lot of people surf too close to the boat. Not sure if this is your problem but move back on the wave and see if that makes it more surfable. Photo for reference.

Attached Images

Old 09-14-2013, 12:09 AM
MC Devotee

Here is port

Attached Images

Old 09-15-2013, 12:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
I got some better photos of the interior over the weekend. I had the boat out twice and it is holding up great so far!
Name:  IMAG0005.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  32.2 KB
Name:  IMAG0026.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  28.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0027.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  28.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0028.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  47.3 KB