Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 09-12-2013, 04:36 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicron View Post
On my buddies 2010 x-15 unless he has the boat started and in a high idle the pumps will constantly shut off when draining or filling. He says it has to do with the pumps having voltage or current detectors and they auto shutoff because the alternator isn't spinning high enough making the pumps think the tank is empty or full. Seems like a weird design to me. Is this the case?
nope. i literally never ran my rmps up if i was filling up the ballast, sometimes emptied on my lift with the boat off. That shouldnt happen unless the impellers are bad, or his batteries are bad.
Old 09-12-2013, 05:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2013 X25 - 6.2 Ilmor Baby
You can fill and empty without the engine running, however you can fiscally here the pumps change rpm's when you increase the engine rpm to about 1500. This makes the pumps run at optimum, making them more efficient thus reducing wear on the impellers.

Filling while still and empty while in motion will also improve your time accuracy of the system.

My fill time for the rears with 600lbs overflow bags is 8 minutes fill and 8.5 minutes empty. KGB is 6 and 6.5 respectively.

Your call.
Old 09-13-2013, 08:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

I don't know maybe it is his batteries but again no way that he can fill or empty if his boat is off. Even with it on just idling the pumps will constantly shut off. Like I said if the boat isn't bumped to high idle your constantly looking over at the switch to see if it is flashing or not. Forget about trying to do anything with the ballast if the boat isn't started. I think it's a cool feature to save wear and tear on impellers but seems like there could be a better way for the system to sense when the tanks are empty or full. Like a water sensor in the over flow and one in the intake.

I was just posting to find out if others see this problem and what are some solutions? Any settings that can be changed or adjusted?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:54 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2007 Mastercraft X15 MCX350
I have an 07 X-15 and I rarely ever fill with the engine running. I always pull to my spot turn the engine off flip the ballast switches and let them fill while I hook the rope up and get ready. The water comes out the over flow before the timer shuts them off every time.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2