Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 09-10-2013, 10:51 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
I know yours is a little bigger than mine but I run 600# sack in the locker on most days to save time plus have learned that passengers on the center of the pad is better than the edge. So move people around and see what works.

I have loaded it up with 600# in locker 600# in rear seat and 400# in bow and the wave is massive. Then just move your passengers to tweak it. So don't be afraid to slam it. just don't let off the throttle too fast or you will get swamped and always turn weighted side into the roller wave when you recover a rider. you can capsize so be aware.

What board did you get?

Are you plumbing your ballast in? That is my project for the winter. Next season no more pumps I have to fumble with. Can't wait

Your boat is a surf machine. It's wave will rival that of newer boats.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-10-2013, 11:10 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1995 Mastercraft Maristar 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
I know yours is a little bigger than mine but I run 600# sack in the locker on most days to save time plus have learned that passengers on the center of the pad is better than the edge. So move people around and see what works.

I have loaded it up with 600# in locker 600# in rear seat and 400# in bow and the wave is massive. Then just move your passengers to tweak it. So don't be afraid to slam it. just don't let off the throttle too fast or you will get swamped and always turn weighted side into the roller wave when you recover a rider. you can capsize so be aware.

What board did you get?

Are you plumbing your ballast in? That is my project for the winter. Next season no more pumps I have to fumble with. Can't wait

Your boat is a surf machine. It's wave will rival that of newer boats.

That is exactly what I wanted to hear!!!!! I was very unsure of how the surf wake would turn out and it seemed impossible to find a clear answer on these older boats.

My plan was to create an integrated system that runs off of one pump to start with. I am going to do an impeller style pump (reversible) to fill and drain the ballast bags. I plan on adding one fitting to the hull for raw water and having a system of 3 valves under the rear seat to select which bag to drain/fill. I figure this will give me the flexibility of having multiple bags but I won't have to invest in (3) $250 pumps from the start. It will be as simple as selecting which bag to fill/drain by selecting the proper ball valve and if needed I can operate all bags at the same time but at a much slower pace.

The bag I have in the ski locker is a 540lb but I can't get completely full and close the door so I guessed at 400lbs. I was planning on 600lbs on each side in the rear and see where that gets me.

I found a Liquid Force Fish onsale at the-house.com and it seemed like a good all around board. This year was the first time I surfed and it was behind a Tige with no ballast. It was a blast but I am still just starting out and am no where near ready for tricks. I figure next year I can upgrade to something more agile and keep the Fish for everyone else to use.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:14 PM
TT Newbie

The carbon was really easy to work with and is very similar to counter-top laminate. The biggest PITA was getting all the connections for the switches off and on in the right spot so I could remove the switches to cover that piece. I like the idea of labeling the switches themselves but I want to keep the boat as stock looking as possible. When I get around to re-labeling with the proper lettering I will post a picture.

As for the side decals, they do have a chrome outline which ties the new transom decal.

Here is removing the original ones, which wasn't much fun;
Name:  IMG_20130824_191942.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  28.0 KB

And after;

Name:  IMG_20130824_2003261.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  47.4 KB
Old 09-11-2013, 12:41 AM
MC Devotee

That does look better on the side in that photo.

Sounds like a good board to start with. That is strange your bag won't fit. Is there stuff in there or something. I'm having custom bags made for my ballast set up from wakemakers that are 900# each.

Also when I wakeboard I never fill them both up completely unless I have a full one in the bow. Usually I just fill about 300 each and call it. With that much weight you cannot maintain over 25mph without proposing real bad.

What size prop do you have on right now? May need to upgrade. I pit a surf prop on and it saves a ton on gas. worth the money.

Old 09-11-2013, 12:44 AM
MC Devotee

Also watch the bow. It is pointed slightly down and will take a roller wave over the bow easily. It will happen to you. Don't panic. Just drain. Haha. ..

Also watch your walk thru window when crossing waves from boats or in chop. The hull tends to flex and the window can drop below the starboard side frame and you will have to remove it and reinstall in order to fix it. Have to hit the roller pretty hard, but not as hard as you might think.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
Quote:
Also watch the bow. It is pointed slightly down and will take a roller wave over the bow easily. It will happen to you. Don't panic. Just drain. Haha. ..
I agree! Just make sure your wife is not sitting in the bow when it happens in early May and water temps are still around 50 degrees! Not that it's ever happened You will learn a TON of new words and adjectives to describe someone

BTW, my bilge pump works GREAT!

Nice looking boat. I am getting ready to do the upholstery on mine this year. As for the engine... I love mine now. Check the cooling threads on here for overheating issues the LT-1 has. Huge help.

The faux teak does look nice on these boats. There is a thread by Whalenjf - 1994 Maristar 225 VRS Project (Sorry, not sure how to post a link ) He put one on his. He has tons of pics.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:

Also watch your walk thru window when crossing waves from boats or in chop. The hull tends to flex and the window can drop below the starboard side frame and you will have to remove it and reinstall in order to fix it. Have to hit the roller pretty hard, but not as hard as you might think.

I have noticed that the window does tend to flex a lot, good to know it gets worse with ballast because i have gotten it stuck a couple times... When I had the ski locker full and two people in the front the wake was super wide and decent sized. I didn't have any ballast in the rear and only one person in the back so it wasn't ideal weight distribution. The bow did ride pretty low and it would have been easy to soak the riders up front

I'll have to check on the prop, I was at my storage unit today but forgot to look at it. I am guessing it is stock but could be wrong.

Smarten-
Thanks for the heads up on the cooling, although I have already had issues. The first time I took it out after I bought it the lake had debris and it clogged the tranny filter, needless to say that was the only time because I installed a raw water filter. Also, the original owner installed a garden hose valve on the intake with a quick coupler so it can be run on dry land. This system works great except when you forget to close it and take the boat out...My bilge pump works great too! I promptly replaced the impeller after both those episodes.

I have been following Whalenjf's forum and he has posted some great stuff on there!! I got the idea for the faux teak from his photos but I still can't decide what to do. At least I have some time to think about it. I am definitely glad that I didn't have to go through an engine rebuild like he did and hopefully I won't see that day.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:56 PM
TT Newbie

Angry

Last week I decided that I hated the purple enough that I would go to any length to change it so I started researching. I found a lot of different people that used SEM Marine Vinyl paint with great success and the results I saw looked awesome. I decided that it was worth a shot so I ordered some from http://www.repaintsupply.com when I was ordering my compounds and pads for buffing/polishing.
Name:  IMAG0025.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  65.6 KB

Today I got off work early so I decided to do a test panel and four hours later the whole boat was done! I think it turned out great, and you can't tell that it has been painted but I don't know what longevity I am going to get out of it. It was getting dark when I finished so the pictures didn't turn out great but i'll get some better ones tomorrow.
Name:  IMAG0020.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  49.7 KB
Name:  IMAG0023.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  53.0 KB
Name:  IMAG0021.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  19.0 KB
I decided to keep the original green color for now but it goes alright with the dark blue. (better than purple) I wasn't impressed with the variety of colors that SEM offers but at least the purple is gone!!!! No more purple nurple....
Old 09-11-2013, 11:35 PM
MC Devotee

Wow. Amazing transform. Now it looks good man. Way to kill that purple. That was aweful. Lol. Looks great

Old 09-11-2013, 11:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
What was that color again? jk. Actually it came out looking great! The color you picked works really well with the other colors in the boat. Nice boat all around, btw.