Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 09-05-2013, 12:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
I forgot to add that I also left a bottle jack with pressure on the pin last week. Apparently it did not help either. Is there a stainless pin that is available so this doesn't happen again? Granted I will be foldin it every time so it shouldn't happen but jic.
Old 09-05-2013, 12:41 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Good idea with the jack.

SPECIAL ST205/75R15 LRC KENDA LOADSTAR ON 15X5 WHITE SPOKE WHEEL, BALANCED & DELIVERED - $125

Tandem Axle Packages Starting at $569 - 4 Aluminum wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.
Single Axle Package Starting at $319 - 2 Aluminum wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 tires, mount & balance.

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***
Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Well, I tried the PB Blaster and let it sit for three nights, beating it with a sledge every morning and then applying more PB Blaster, but this pin did not budge. The only other solution I can really think of is to break out the torch, which would ruin the paint and I would rather not do that if I don't have to. I did also try to twisting the pin with some vice grips, to no avail. Taking suggestions.
Use an air hammer with a blunt nose bit and drive the pin up and out from the bottom. Wear old clothes and eye protection since all that penetrating spray you've been using will start flyin'.

On the bolt...
When I replaced my actuator from the "Reliable" to the UFP, I tried everything (PB Blaster for weeks, long breaker bar, 1/2 impact, 3/4" impact) all to no avail. I was going to use the old heat and beat method but I figured since the bolt runs through a sleeve, it would be somewhat insulated and wouldn't heat up enough to work anyway. It may have worked, but I didn't try.

I ended up taking it to my friend at his spring shop. He used a 1" impact and it took several seconds before it started turning. I smacked on it from the bottom as he continued with the impact and it walked out. The new bolt got a really nice coat of anti-seize before it went back together.

Hope this helps,
Old 09-05-2013, 08:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Since the T handle broke off maybe weld on a nut and use that to twist will beating, cussing, etc....

Also by pounding on it are you mushrooming it out any and adding to the problem?

I can tell you that mine is very snug, as i am sure everyone is, and I keep anti seize on it. I tried just penetrating oil but it still seemed to lock up a bit after a couple weeks of sitting.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Prostar 209 - MCX
Oops... I didn't catch that it was the type with a ring on the top. If it's just a straight shaft now, drive it down from the top... with the air hammer. Much easier than laying on your back.

Mine was a different type pin. It wasn't stuck, thankfully. Would have had to drive it up from the bottom, or cut the top off.
Attached Images

Last edited by JDC; 09-05-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: '96 Prostar 205 LT-1
It sounds like yours is really rusted. One thing to keep in mind is that the two parts of the trailer may be binding the bolt. When I am done towing and want to fold, I have to lift up on the the front of the trailer to relieve the bind. My pin then comes out much easier. Maybe that will help with the air chisel.
Old 09-06-2013, 12:19 AM
MC Devotee

It is starting to mushroom a little, but nothing that can't be ground back down easily. I have also tried lifting up on the tongue while beating the pin like a red headed step child. The thing is just stuck. The air hammer is an interesting suggestion. I will see if I know anybody around here that has one I can borrow.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:20 AM
MC Devotee

Does anyone know the size socket I will need for the bolt on the tongue? I borrowed a friend's impact wrench. I tried to put one of my socket's on there but it was too small and only goes up to 7/8", so I am guessing it is between 1"-1.25", but I would like to know and just go buy that size socket to make use of the impact. I can get a whole set for about $25 at Harbor Freight, but they do not sell the individual size I need, I don't believe.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 X1
How about putting the bottle jack under the pin so all the weight/pressure is on the pin then from the top, hit the top plate of that area a few times. Use a piece of wood on top so you don't damage the paint. I would do that than use a bigger hammer from underneath. With the boat jacked way up to give you room to swing and a big enough hammer it will have to come out. Watch your thumb!

Matt
Old 09-11-2013, 10:42 AM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@semmergroup.com View Post
How about putting the bottle jack under the pin so all the weight/pressure is on the pin then from the top, hit the top plate of that area a few times. Use a piece of wood on top so you don't damage the paint. I would do that than use a bigger hammer from underneath. With the boat jacked way up to give you room to swing and a big enough hammer it will have to come out. Watch your thumb!

Matt
Interesting idea. I would be a little afraid of damaging the jack though. I may give it a try anyway, although I do not think it will require me to jack it up too high. Really just high enough that all the weight is on the pin. raising it up too high could get a little dangerous.