Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 09-10-2013, 11:57 PM
AlbertaSurfer's Avatar
AlbertaSurfer AlbertaSurfer is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 1999 X-Star
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 511
Yeah, I had the frame powder coated because that fugly tower rides against it while it's down. I didn't think paint would handle the wear.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:05 AM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaSurfer View Post
Yeah, I had the frame powder coated because that fugly tower rides against it while it's down. I didn't think paint would handle the wear.
Any issues with putting the glass all back together after powder coat? I heard the pin is hard to get in. Anything else I should be weary of or let my powder guy know about?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:12 AM
AlbertaSurfer's Avatar
AlbertaSurfer AlbertaSurfer is offline
MC Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 1999 X-Star
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 511
It went in fine, just that the gaskets want to get swallowed up by the frames as you push the glass in. It wasn't bad, but lube them up with some vinyl conditioner or something before putting the glass in.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 AM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 209
Called up one tint shop today and they quoted me around 600.00 to do my xstar glass. I thought that was a rip off considering it was just the glass and no frame to deal with. I think I'll keep shopping! I was thinking around $300 range would be a fair price?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:00 PM
XtwentyNot's Avatar
XtwentyNot XtwentyNot is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: None
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 274
Prices ranged from $200-$300 for me. Then I paid another $150 for powder. I wouldn't go any less then 20%, I almost think its not dark enough but you guys are confirming why I didn't go 5%.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-11-2013, 12:54 PM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Prices ranged from $200-$300 for me. Then I paid another $150 for powder. I wouldn't go any less then 20%, I almost think its not dark enough but you guys are confirming why I didn't go 5%.
I like the look of 20% but I'm more concerned about vision when the sun starts to go down. I hated having to look over my windshield when driving my last boat, of course it was 5%. I think 35% will give me the best all around.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 PM
XtwentyNot's Avatar
XtwentyNot XtwentyNot is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: None
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
I like the look of 20% but I'm more concerned about vision when the sun starts to go down. I hated having to look over my windshield when driving my last boat, of course it was 5%. I think 35% will give me the best all around.
Wish I had a good pic, I've had no issues looking through it.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-11-2013, 10:49 PM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
Wish I had a good pic, I've had no issues looking through it.
Even when it starts to get a little dark? That is the feedback I've got from other people is when the sun goes down the 20% is a little hard to see through.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-11-2013, 11:54 PM
XtwentyNot's Avatar
XtwentyNot XtwentyNot is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Boat: None
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by andersonmc View Post
Even when it starts to get a little dark? That is the feedback I've got from other people is when the sun goes down the 20% is a little hard to see through.
That's what I'm saying. I think you would be going from too dark to too light, 35% would be extremely light in the sun, it would be hard to tell its tinted.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:47 AM
andersonmc andersonmc is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: May 2013
Boat: 2001 X star
Location: Northwest
Posts: 209
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
That's what I'm saying. I think you would be going from too dark to too light, 35% would be extremely light in the sun, it would be hard to tell its tinted.
Well in my case a little better to have it lighter then darker since we do come in at dusk often.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:22 PM.