Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 09-09-2013, 03:53 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
If you get it, go in understanding that there is a difference between the concepts of German quality and German reliability. VWs and Audis are nice cars. They drive great. But things break. I have an extended service plan on my VW CC, and that's the first time I have ever done that (Honda owner up until now).

The 2.0 TSI/TFSI is a nice little engine. Carbon build up is always something to worry with on direct injection without an extra manifold injector to keep the intake valves clean. Water pumps have been touch and go recently. My TSI has a timing chain. So no belt to change, but the oil pressure actuated tensioner has me a bit worried (hence the extended warranty). Keep a couple of coilpacks in the trunk. They tend to go out with little warning. I had a stuck open injector grenade the head group.

VW is pretty good about warranty coverage.

Don't forget to pony up for 93 octane.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 Prostar 214, MCX, Mini-Tower
DoubleD - you have an Audi resource right here in Ohio ... I just saw this thread .... more later ... but most of what people have said is right on ....
- Audi is a great car .... I had a 2002 A4 Quattro with the 2.0 .... sludging a small concern ....ignition coils were part of many recalls ...

Missing engine cover makes me feel like a previous service was not done a by an Audi knowledgable mechanic ....

Car will need to have a fluids changed, etc .... inspect drivetrain ... many bushings and suspension components on that B6/B7 model ...... I have front brakes for that car in my garage ...

You can probably find a better one ..... with a bit more patience.

BTW - first online forum I ever belonged to had to do with Audi's !!!

"Left Foot Forward and preferring girls."
Old 09-09-2013, 06:50 PM
MC Hero

Boat: 1998 Ski Nautique
Lots of people ditch the engine cowling in their VW/Audis. I don't understand it, but they do. They should at least reinstall for the sale.

Also, I should have read more closely. 2006 is going to be the FSI platform. Belt driven. Disregard my timing chain comment above. Add PCV system to your list of checks.

Red 1998 Closed Bow Ski Boat, Ford 351, 310 hp, Acme 4 blade, Perfect Pass SG.

FAQ

Tyler Ski Club

To me, this forum is about love of inboard boats. It is about the sharing of information and, on a good day, some humor. It is not about post count, brand of boat, or any other superfluous labels that lend themselves to a false sense of superiority. Please, respect one another, try to pass on accurate information, and keep your eye on the ball.
Old 09-09-2013, 07:03 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Guys, thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it!! Based on your information I told him "NO WAY" and he needs to stay away from the European stuff until he moves out and can do it on his own. Then he shows me a Mercedes... DUDE!!??

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 09-09-2013, 07:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Not a Mastercraft
Hahahaha. My wife told me I couldn't buy our son a 98 VW Golf GL four door for $1000. "He needs to earn it" she says. "And I'm not too sure about a German car. Maybe something Japanese if we do buy him one."

A week later she tells me she saw a nice looking blue Mercedes on the way to his school. I saw it the next day and it's a '70s sedan with the over/under quad round headlights. And it looks showroom new. I was like uhhhh........

The joys of being married to someone who's bipolar..........
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Unless the kid is in to working on it, IMO he needs a Japanese car or small truck.
Give him a 4runner or pickup with the 22RE, he could pull the oil drain plug, throw it away and it will still last him through high school.
Old 09-10-2013, 09:57 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1988 MC Prostar 190, 351 Ford
Send a message via AIM to 88 PS190
Lady has an A3 wagon - neat car.

I don't like automatics, I don't own automatics. I am solid on the recommendations not to own them.

My history - older brother had a 100CS - I hated that car with a passion.

Had a few early 2000's audi sedans some AWD some FWD. Prefer Audi in AWD not front.

Audi's always have seemed like decent cars - the problems I always encountered were related to electricals. Timing belts are the same as any car - you need to do them on schedule.

My brothers had the fan go out - it was a horrible encounter. The LCD went out.

The AWD got T-boned but was a decent car. The FWD torque steered like crazy and had a dead trans mount so the shifter would move around when you gave it throttle.

Myself - I would easily convince myself into an A3 TDI trans if said beast became available at the right price.

Unfortunately for me - I value cars very low.

The one posted however I feel to be valued fairly for retail assuming you pay a mechanic for a check out.

VIN WAUDF78E36A152864

Auction $10,050 $8,175 $6,300
Est. Retail $15,050 $12,900 $10,700
Old 09-10-2013, 10:29 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X2 towed by a 2012 Touareg TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by CruisinGA View Post
Unless the kid is in to working on it, IMO he needs a Japanese car or small truck.
Give him a 4runner or pickup with the 22RE, he could pull the oil drain plug, throw it away and it will still last him through high school.
4runner 4wd is a great idea. bought my son one when he was 15 1/2 and he still has it. his is a 2000 SR2 sport. he turns 20 in a few weeks and no big issues except when someone stole his catalytic converter. here is my post when we got it for him. bought it with 113K and now has 145K. great college vehicle.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=30370