Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-05-2013, 07:10 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2004xstar
Mcx motor not starting.

2004 xstar not starting i know the starter is getting power i have 5 batteries the starter is just dead does anyone have the part number?
Old 09-05-2013, 09:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: Prostar 190 1994
Maybe have it rebuilt instead.Will be as new!
Old 09-05-2013, 09:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Matercraft Prostar 190, LTR330,powerslot,PP,heater
There is a bit to check before you head down the 'New Starter track'. You may have current to the starter but is the solenoid getting power from your key to throw it in. I assume both your high tension leads are good from what you say, but unless the solenoid is getting current you have no action. Check the small wires going to the solenoid for current whilst someone turns the key for you. Have Fun.....
Old 09-05-2013, 10:14 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxstar View Post
2004 xstar not starting i know the starter is getting power i have 5 batteries the starter is just dead does anyone have the part number?
Have it rebuilt- you won't need to search for a replacement and it's probably a lot cheaper.

Did you upgrade the charging setup when you added all of those batteries?
Old 09-05-2013, 11:45 PM
TT Regular

Three are on there own for stereo and two boat batteries that get used for really nothing now that the stereo is off the grid. It sometimes clicks. Sometimes it started to die today. Almost didn't start after shutting down. Only reason I need to buy one is I'm on vacation on lake Cumberland again.... Same place the fuel pump went out last month.
Old 09-06-2013, 05:03 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Three are on there own for stereo and two boat batteries that get used for really nothing now that the stereo is off the grid. It sometimes clicks. Sometimes it started to die today. Almost didn't start after shutting down. Only reason I need to buy one is I'm on vacation on lake Cumberland again.... Same place the fuel pump went out last month.
How old are the batteries? If they're older, have them load-tested. If one has a shorted cell, it can drop the voltage and that will make starting hard, if not impossible. If you don't have much running on the two, use only one. Letting a battery run down isn't good for ANYTHING.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Regular

After a little checking we had a loose connection. Now the low voltage after checking everything over again found I broke an alternator bolt off and the belt was slipping. My buddy that works for mastercraft sent the part number for someone that might need it in the future.

Indmar #571006
Old 09-08-2013, 06:58 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
After a little checking we had a loose connection. Now the low voltage after checking everything over again found I broke an alternator bolt off and the belt was slipping. My buddy that works for mastercraft sent the part number for someone that might need it in the future.

Indmar #571006
Does MC still put 81 ahead of the rest of the part number?
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Does MC still put 81 ahead of the rest of the part number?
im not sure. i was told to go get i think he said a bottom mount starter from the parts store. They will cross check numbers.