Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1995 PROSTAR
As pulling skiers for a show ski team every weekend , around 120 pulls a weekend, a lil more speed is better to get them out of the water. Them back it down to 2000RPM. Skiers position, palms facing down, if arms slightly bent, knees to the chest, eyes looking right over the boat, all will help with alittle quicker pull. Then they will get used to it .
Old 08-26-2013, 07:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I "teach" proper body position in the boat or on land/dock before getting into the water. Stress using the PFD to maintain body position. I see so many people using their hands to "swim" right before the pull.

Watching the victim (I mean kid/person) on the pull can key you (the driver) into what you need to do: more power, less power, etc. A good mirror and spotter with experience really help a lot.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:03 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
I do have a tower, but was pulling off the transom since the boat was pretty full... had 8 in the boat, 3 nieces, 2 daughters, sister-in-law, wife and me...

Didn't really consider pulling from the tower. When we head out Thursday evening, it will just be the wife and kids, so I can put one of the girls in the bow and the wife in the spotter's seat, or both in the spotter seat and pull from the pylon or the tower.

I'm sure that the water will be much smoother on Thursday than it was on Saturday, so that should help a bit too.

The girls had no problem controlling the skis in the water, so I feel pretty good about their ability to get up if I can give them a good pull. They were pretty relaxed and not fighting the skis at all.
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 08-26-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
This purpose was a surprise to me as well and didn't realize how much it helps. I had a little girl, 12 years old, never skied before. She wanted to try out deep water and just couldn't get it to work. Always pulled too hard and then fell back on her bottom. Decided to put her on the boom to get a better feel of skiing and she popped right up. Once she got her balance and figured it out, much more confident. Then, threw her back on the rope again and up she went. Just a great learning tool for kids.

When I'm pulling kids up, I do listen to them on what they think on the pull up speed. However, my rear view mirror is pretty critical. I can watch how they are getting up, judge their balance and then feather the throttle forward when I think they can handle it.

You don't want the be the cause of them losing their balance with the throttle. Slow and steady but watch them too.
What he said about the mirror. Forgot to mention that. If you don't have a side mirror get one. When I jump in another boat without one I realize how much I use it to watch the skier and throttle accordingly to what I see the skier doing. I find it much motre difficult to drive well for a slier without that little mirror.
Old 08-26-2013, 10:23 PM
MC Fanatic

I do have a mirror and I did notice myself trying to adjust throttle input based on what I saw in the mirror.

I think it will just take some practice.
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Old 08-29-2013, 10:36 PM
MC Fanatic

Went back to the lake tonight... Success...

My wife got up on her first try and she hasn't skied in over 30 years. My 13 year old got up on her first try. My 11 year old didn't have any success, but she only tried once (she going to have to toughen up a bit).

The smooth acceleration to 2000 RPM was perfect. I then slowly adjusted speed for each of them. I pulled my daughter at about 22 MPH and my wife up to about 28 MPH. My wife even went outside the wake a couple of times.

The water was awesome tonight. We probably will avoid the lake Friday, Saturday and Sunday and won't go back out until late Monday afternoon after all the crazy people leave.

Thanks for all the advice.
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

Old 08-30-2013, 01:24 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Went back to the lake tonight... Success...

My wife got up on her first try and she hasn't skied in over 30 years. My 13 year old got up on her first try. My 11 year old didn't have any success, but she only tried once (she going to have to toughen up a bit).

The smooth acceleration to 2000 RPM was perfect. I then slowly adjusted speed for each of them. I pulled my daughter at about 22 MPH and my wife up to about 28 MPH. My wife even went outside the wake a couple of times.

The water was awesome tonight. We probably will avoid the lake Friday, Saturday and Sunday and won't go back out until late Monday afternoon after all the crazy people leave.

Thanks for all the advice.
That is awsome Less is more sometimes with these crafts
Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
When they are ready for slalom there's a training rope you can get for $30... call a deep v

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...e&merchID=4005
Old 09-05-2013, 10:41 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
I see you are in the "Midwest". If you live near Minneapolis, We have a boom you can borrow.
there is nothing like being able to watch them up close, take pictures, and talk to them as they are learning! Dryland practice, as you are doing, is a HUGE help!
Old 09-05-2013, 11:03 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, '83 S&S Powerslot, Red Metalflake!
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  75.6 KB

This is our daughter, tricking at 11 mph!