Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 09-04-2013, 10:38 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: MC prostar 190 1995 LT1
update

Thank you! Made the changes and it ran all last weekend at 160F. Happy Winterizing all!
Old 10-07-2013, 05:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Hey Gibbons,

You the same guy from chevelles.com? I'd send you a PM but don't know if your account is active?
Old 01-08-2014, 11:59 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 205
Bochnak, yep, that's me too. I just saw your 3 month old PM, haven't messed with the Chevelle for a long time.

I just logged in to see what trouble I caused here! It doesn't look like anyone changed to a 170 thermostat, that's where the fun starts because the heater is hotter and it still won't heat spike. I got an engineer in the product development lab at Stant to custom make me a couple way back when. But I later found 170 stats off-the-shelf at Summit Racing. Get one of these! Remember to drill a 1/8" bleed hole on the skirt. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/me...0170/overview/

Our kids are all gone and the ProStar hasn't been on the water for 2 years. I rode my bicycles 11,000 miles instead. It's strange how interests change.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:12 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 94' Prostar 205 - Indmar 5.7 TBI
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibbons View Post
Bochnak, yep, that's me too. I just saw your 3 month old PM, haven't messed with the Chevelle for a long time.

Ha! I haven't messed with mine that much either. Going to do a a H4/H1 headlight swap & relays this winter.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:32 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Finally doing the LT1 cooling fix. It seems to me that my boat maintains the 160 temp but I have decided put vents at the front of heads for good measure. I will be leaving the stock vent tube at the rear and capping off the tube running toward bow. Has anyone, instead of capping off existing tube, just plumbed it into new hardware on front? That way steam could travel the least path of resistance and escape either toward the front or rear. Overkill?
Attached are some pictures of hardware.
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2014, 03:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
Has anyone, instead of capping off existing tube, just plumbed it into new hardware on front? That way steam could travel the least path of resistance and escape either toward the front or rear. Overkill?
That is what I did. I bought a used factory steam tube and put it on the front. I plumbed the rear tube into the hose to the manifold with a brass tee. I figured if it ran too cool, I could block it off later. I did drill another hole in the thermostat to make sure enough water could flow in just to be safe. All said and done, it works great.
Old 02-11-2014, 02:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 96 ProStar 190 LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
That is what I did. I bought a used factory steam tube and put it on the front. I plumbed the rear tube into the hose to the manifold with a brass tee. I figured if it ran too cool, I could block it off later. I did drill another hole in the thermostat to make sure enough water could flow in just to be safe. All said and done, it works great.
TRocker,

Do you see any issues with attached image of how I am thinking of updating my steam vents?
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 03:28 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgs96ps View Post
TRocker,

Do you see any issues with attached image of how I am thinking of updating my steam vents?
I can't think of any reason it wouldn't work fine. The hose from the bubble catcher is small, so you would probably replace it with the larger hose and larger brass fitting on the manifold.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: MasterCraft ProStar 209X9 & ProStar 190 LT1-Powerslot
Hi Guys,
I just bought a boat with an LT1 a couple of weeks ago. Does it look like mine has the bulletin completed. I wish I had better pics but it is in storage 10 hours away where I bought it.
Thanks,
Eric
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2014, 04:04 PM
MC Devotee

It does not look like it has been changed.

It does look nice and clean though, very nice.