Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-29-2013, 01:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
I have replied on this thread before about the issues Iím having with my 97 Prostar with the LT1. I thought I would recap what I have tried. My hard starting issue would occur when the engine was shut off after skiing and getting engine warmed up. We let it idle several minutes at the dock before shutting it off and the temperature wasnít running above normal, (180) on the gauge. If the boat sat for around 15-30 minutes it would start, but act as if was a carbureted engine flooding out. So after reading this thread I tried a new IACV valve and did the procedures to reset it. Now when it starts, it idles at about 1000 to 1200 rpm and runs rich (black smoke out of the exhaust) and the check engine lite is on and will not clear, even after the battery is disconnected for several minutes. I replaced the IACV with the old one and the issues are the same. I tried to find a code reader that would connect to the ecm plug but havenít had any luck finding one that has the right connecting plug. My next move is to take it to a dealer (200 miles away) unless someone has some insight on what I can try.
Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Have you checked temp sensors are working correctly? Overly rich and high idle is typical when this occurs.
Old 08-29-2013, 07:11 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskick View Post
I have replied on this thread before about the issues Iím having with my 97 Prostar with the LT1. I thought I would recap what I have tried. My hard starting issue would occur when the engine was shut off after skiing and getting engine warmed up. We let it idle several minutes at the dock before shutting it off and the temperature wasnít running above normal, (180) on the gauge. If the boat sat for around 15-30 minutes it would start, but act as if was a carbureted engine flooding out. So after reading this thread I tried a new IACV valve and did the procedures to reset it. Now when it starts, it idles at about 1000 to 1200 rpm and runs rich (black smoke out of the exhaust) and the check engine lite is on and will not clear, even after the battery is disconnected for several minutes. I replaced the IACV with the old one and the issues are the same. I tried to find a code reader that would connect to the ecm plug but havenít had any luck finding one that has the right connecting plug. My next move is to take it to a dealer (200 miles away) unless someone has some insight on what I can try.
Thanks
If you have black smoke AND high idle, I can't see a way that it wouldn't throw a code. Do the paper clip code scan (DLC terminals A and B)- plug the paper clip in before turning the key to ON and once the key has been turned, watch for anything other than 1, pause, 2 (designates 12) and see what shows up. If it comes up with 14 and/or 15, the ECT is bad, the terminals are corroded/damaged or the wiring has problems.

Did you replace your TPS? If so, was it specifically an LT-1 part? This is important- if the usual TPS is used, it can be hard to start with the throttle closed and it won't run right because the LT-1 TPS is reversed- the normal one will show WOT when the throttle is closed.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1997 Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
If you have black smoke AND high idle, I can't see a way that it wouldn't throw a code. Do the paper clip code scan (DLC terminals A and B)- plug the paper clip in before turning the key to ON and once the key has been turned, watch for anything other than 1, pause, 2 (designates 12) and see what shows up. If it comes up with 14 and/or 15, the ECT is bad, the terminals are corroded/damaged or the wiring has problems.

Did you replace your TPS? If so, was it specifically an LT-1 part? This is important- if the usual TPS is used, it can be hard to start with the throttle closed and it won't run right because the LT-1 TPS is reversed- the normal one will show WOT when the throttle is closed.
Thank you everyone especially JimN for your input on my problem. I took the TPS out by mistake when I was going to install the IACV and didn't get it back in right. I installed it right and now it idles and runs as it should and no check engine lite. We used it on Monday to ski for about 3 hours and we had no problems with the power or performance. We didn't shut the engine off for more than about 5 minutes because we weren't close to the dock. So we fixed the self inflicted problem, but the original issue probably still exists. The temp sensors have been mentioned as well as possible spark issues. Any suggestions on what steps to take to diagnose it would be appreciated.
Thanks Again for the help.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:02 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtrskick View Post
Thank you everyone especially JimN for your input on my problem. I took the TPS out by mistake when I was going to install the IACV and didn't get it back in right. I installed it right and now it idles and runs as it should and no check engine lite. We used it on Monday to ski for about 3 hours and we had no problems with the power or performance. We didn't shut the engine off for more than about 5 minutes because we weren't close to the dock. So we fixed the self inflicted problem, but the original issue probably still exists. The temp sensors have been mentioned as well as possible spark issues. Any suggestions on what steps to take to diagnose it would be appreciated.
Thanks Again for the help.
My LT-1 was hard to start also. After replacing the TPS with no improvement, I replaced the ECT and the engine starts fine now. Only ran it one day for about 4 hours but I believe my problem is solved. The ECT is cheap (under $20) and worth a try in your case.