Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 12:02 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
White smoke; steam or something more serious?

I have a new 2013 x14v and I just hit 15 hours (taking it in this week) with it and I am seeing something a bit odd. When I am wakeboarding or surfing there is white smoke coming from underneath the platform. I never noticed anything like this with my 2005 Prostar 197 so I wasn't sure if this was something to worry about or not. There is no odor that I could smell. Could it be steam from the stainless exhaust tips? Has anyone else seen this?
Old 09-04-2013, 12:26 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Panda Cub here had a similar issue. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44355
Old 09-04-2013, 12:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
I had something similar on our new 2013, I'm guessing around 8-10 hours in. I asked hour dealer about it. Checked the gauges, everything normal. He said don't worry about it if gauges in normal ranges. Went away and I didn't see it again.

Don't know if that's a comfort, because I was worried too at the time. But I suspect now some type of break-in thing.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 Mastercraft X-25 with the awesome 6.2
It would depend on air temp, water temp and exhaust water temp but my guess would definitely be steam, especially with no smell.

2013 X-25
Old 09-04-2013, 08:40 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-14V
I have a '12 x-14v with the same thing as what you've described. It didn't worry me...until maybe now.

I had always assumed it was not steam but condensation, like breathing out on a cold day. Except in this case, its the high moisture content & hot exhaust gases hitting the relatively cooler but humid air. I had assumed it was normal.

There's not much there, and it dissipates pretty quickly so its not smoke. There is no smell when surfing. Is that what you're seeing?

One thing I do notice is the engine temp cycling. If we're idling around the lake, the engine temp goes up and down constantly from 155 to 180+ over the space of a minute . I know this is the thermostat opening and closing, but it just looks a little weird.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:18 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: ER xstar
I have the same thing on my 2007 xstar, only happens on cold morning runs
Old 09-04-2013, 09:34 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
Next time it happens open a weather app on your phone for that area and make note of the dew point, temperature, humidity and water temperature. I bet there is a combination where it happens. I work in a room that is tightly controlled for temp and humidity and some days when the door is opened to the hallway I get a cloud forming around the door for a split second and it all depends on what the conditions are outside of the main building.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oskiluvr View Post
I have a new 2013 x14v and I just hit 15 hours (taking it in this week) with it and I am seeing something a bit odd. When I am wakeboarding or surfing there is white smoke coming from underneath the platform. I never noticed anything like this with my 2005 Prostar 197 so I wasn't sure if this was something to worry about or not. There is no odor that I could smell. Could it be steam from the stainless exhaust tips? Has anyone else seen this?
If the tips are visible when you're under way, watch for the amount of water than comes out along with the exhaust while you're behind the boat- if it's the same from both and it looks like a good amount of water, it's probably just from the temperature differential.

You can also briefly place your hand on the exhaust risers to feel how hot they are- if they're too hot to touch, clear out the oil cooler. Actually, I would check the oil cooler before doing anything, especially if you don't clear it frequently (which you should be doing on a regular basis).