Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 09-02-2013, 06:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Blew out my kicker 6500's

Put a set of ks6500.2 hlcd tweeters w/ 2 6500 midrange speakers coupled to a polk pa d4000.4 amp running in 2 channel bridged mode (400 watts at 14.4 volts but probably closer to 300 at normal voltage). Noticed this weekend that the mids weren't working anymore. Took them apart and the guts seem to be burned up ( ceramic resistor is broken in half, the pot is split in two, and smells like an electrical fire).

I was running in full pass mode and gain was only 1/2 way up. Do you think that the excessive wattage killed them? If so, what can I do to make the next set last longer? I'm already planning on setting up for hi pass w/ 150 hz bottom. Should I reduce the gain some more? Does someone make a mid that will handle more wattage?

Thanks
Ross
Old 09-02-2013, 08:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: pontoon
Im not fallowing your setup exactly. You say you have a polk 4000.4 running in 2 chnl mode driving the KM6500.2 HLCD tower setup plus an extra pair of the KM6500 mids? Thats a 6 pod setup. Wired correctly, that would be a 2 ohm load bridged and that amp wont handle it.

Or are you just running the KM6500.2 HLCD (2 horns and 2 mids) system bridged? yes, that amp is too much, especially with gain set that high. Yes, you need to run the amp on hi-pass. We routinely run this setup @ 250W rms with no issues and they get pushed hard. This is a lot of power for any 6.5" speaker, what are you hoping to gain by pushing it with more? Adding the extra pair of KM6500's with another amp would gain you more mid-bass output, but to get deeper, you need larger, not more power to the current setup. If you want more horn output, then move the 6db jumper on the back of the horn.
Old 09-02-2013, 08:51 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
You can hear a speaker sounding horrible BEFORE you do thermal damage. So that is the first step in correcting the failure. Learn exactly what clipping and compression sound like, back it off until it sounds clean and never exceed that level. Find what is the full clean output at rest and then trust that level whenever the competing noise level is high when under way and as the day gets long and your perception of what is reasonably loud and clean no longer computes.
You must run highpass on any tower speaker and particularly a smaller 6.5" version.

David
Old 09-02-2013, 08:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Just have the 4 speakers. 2 horns and 2 mids. We don't blast the ,music too loud so surprised that the bridged amp is blowing these out. I guess I'll reduce the gain and pull in the high pass filter to aid some. Is ther a way to tune it so it won't damage them again?
Old 09-03-2013, 10:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: TBD
Keep this additional point in mind. No EQ boost of any kind on the tower speakers. Tower speakers do not have deep bass and not much midbass, even less for smaller speakers. You can augment the bass only by a small margin at the lowest listening levels (like dining room listening level where you can have conversation over the music) and only if you are using the highpass filter. The moment the volume is turned up in the slightest, any augmentation must fully dissappear. You cannot mix high output and an EQ boost. Pick just one.
You can get the most basic of tuning instructions here....like turn your HU to 85% and gain up the amplifier until you hear clipping and then back it off a touch. A thorough set of pro tuning instructions can be 5 to 7 full pages long. That is something that your dealer should walk you through.

David