Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 02-17-2011, 09:54 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post

Does anyone know if a new replacement module is better quality than they were back in 2005?
I do not know. But, My 2005 went through 2 fuel pumps over 600 hours. My 2008 has 450 hours on original pump and filter. So I am hoping that maybe by 2008 the design improved? Probably fail on the next outing now that I posted this...
Old 05-26-2012, 09:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2008 X Star, 2005 X2
First, thanks again to Boofer and everyone who contributed to this thread. I was able to replace my fuel pump in about 60 minutes and get back out on the water.

Second, I answered my original question as to whether the pump improved in 2008. The 2008 fuel pump still sucks and looked identical to the one in my 2005. I have never let my gas go below 1/3 of a tank but the pump died yesterday. Oh well, at least I made it to 500 hours.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:01 AM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
450 hours on the original fuel filter? That may be the reason for your shorter pump life?
I was told the fuel filter should be changed every 2 years, or more often in areas with no layup time (florida) where the boat gets more use annually.

Sorry to hear you jinxed yourself 3 months ago with that post.
These fuel pumps just don't seem to be tough enough, but then again other boat builders are most likely having pump issues too.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Hoping for some help. Just this past Saturday we had our boat out (2008 X2 350MCX), and after about 30min of normal operation as I idled down the engine died. After that it would not fire. I let it sit for about 10min and it would fire for about 1sec then die again. We have about 235hours and I am assuming its the fuel pump? I called the dealer and wont be able to get it in till first week in October. So thinking of tackling this myself, I have been reading the threads for about 3 hours now and have a few questions before I go and buy a new fuel pump module.
Can I test the fuel pump without a fuel pressure gauge?
My boat is out of water now can I test the pump without starting the engine?
Thanks in advance.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:31 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Hoping for some help. Just this past Saturday we had our boat out (2008 X2 350MCX), and after about 30min of normal operation as I idled down the engine died. After that it would not fire. I let it sit for about 10min and it would fire for about 1sec then die again. We have about 235hours and I am assuming its the fuel pump? I called the dealer and wont be able to get it in till first week in October. So thinking of tackling this myself, I have been reading the threads for about 3 hours now and have a few questions before I go and buy a new fuel pump module.
Can I test the fuel pump without a fuel pressure gauge?
My boat is out of water now can I test the pump without starting the engine?
Thanks in advance.
You need a gauge and can't do a valid test without it. It also needs to be on the water, not on the trailer.
Old 09-02-2013, 04:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 X2
Thanks JimN. I will get a gauge. Can I test with boat on trailer, (5gallon pail and garden hose)? It would be quite a trip to get to water. When should I watch for a reading on the gauge? Key on, but not starting. Key turned and trying to start?
Old 09-02-2013, 05:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
Thanks JimN. I will get a gauge. Can I test with boat on trailer, (5gallon pail and garden hose)? It would be quite a trip to get to water. When should I watch for a reading on the gauge? Key on, but not starting. Key turned and trying to start?
If you listen carefully when the key is turned to ON, you should hear a few clicks. That's the System, Ignition, and Fuel Pump relays. Put your fingers on the Fuel pump relay and feel for a click when the key is turned on, then it should stop after three seconds. This is the priming sequence. If you feel nothing, insert a wire on the terminals marked 30 and 87a. If you still hear nothing, measure voltage at the pump's plug. If you see voltage and have a test light (the bulb-type, not the LED-type), make sure it lights up brightly. If not, the plug may have a problem (bad terminal(s)) or the pump is dead. Inspect the plug and receptacle for signs of melting plastic.

It needs to be under load when testing fuel pressure, but if the pump is dead, that's a moot point.

Make sure the check valve is replaced along with the pump.