Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2013, 10:18 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by johny123 View Post
first of all, thanks for all the quick replies!

mr mastercraft, by "check ground at engine", what does that involve doing? when i was checking voltage at the solenoid i was using the engine ground as my negative. the engine ground looked good/very clean

carracer, is there any way to test the solenoid?

i should have said, originally the battery voltage was 12.3, would drop to 12.15 when i turned the key. after putting the battery on a trickle charge for a few hours voltage was 12.7.... that being said, i just realized the date code on the battery is august 2006. does it need to be replaced even though the voltage is still high? not sure how i can test amperage/capacity?

lanyard is good. that was one of my first thoughts...we've been through that one before

what does no click at the starter suggest? could the ignition switch be suspect in these types of problems?
Ensuring that the block ground has a good connection requires removing the connection, using a wire brush (preferable stainless) to clean the battery cable end, mating surface on the block and the bolt itself. You could have a fully charged battery and everything else working within the start circuit, but if you have a high resistance connection at the block ground, you will not be able to flow enough current to turn the starter. The same goes for any battery connection. Visual inspection isn't sufficient as it can look fine, but be green and fuzzy underneath.

No click at the starter suggests that there is no current getting to the starter.

I would proceed as follows until I found the problem:

Clean the ground connection, and and if you haven't yet, all the other battery cable connections including the connection at the starter. Be sure to disconnect the battery ground terminal first and leave disconnected while cleaning the positive connections, then be sure to reconnect.

Use a test light at the solenoid ignition post (small terminal with small wire) in the crank position. You should see battery voltage at crank only.

Remove the battery, charge it and take it to an auto parts store and have it tested.

Next remove the starter and have it tested.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:19 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
First, make sure you have it in neutral. Take it out and put it back in. Jiggle it a little.
Then you have to see if you are getting voltage to the solenoid trigger wire on the starter. It is the small wire on the starter. Turn the key to start and see if it shows any voltage. Unhook it and try again. Check the back of the ignition switch. Do you see voltage on the start tab?

If you don't have 12v on the starter trigger wire at the starter, trace the wire. I don't know about your boat, but on mine the starter trigger wire is yellow with a red stripe. The most likely trouble spots are the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:27 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
First, make sure you have it in neutral. Take it out and put it back in. Jiggle it a little.
Then you have to see if you are getting voltage to the solenoid trigger wire on the starter. It is the small wire on the starter. Turn the key to start and see if it shows any voltage. Unhook it and try again. Check the back of the ignition switch. Do you see voltage on the start tab?

If you don't have 12v on the starter trigger wire at the starter, trace the wire. I don't know about your boat, but on mine the starter trigger wire is yellow with a red stripe. The most likely trouble spots are the neutral safety switch and the ignition switch.
Good points......I was assuming that had been done already, but you knows what happens when we assume

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
1. Check to see if battery voltage drops significantly when turning on the stereo or another decent load to rule this out first
2. If OK, Verify you are getting 12vts to the solenoid at the starter (the wire that energizes the solenoid, not the large 12vt to the starter motor solenoid)
3. If you hear a clicking when turning the key but the starter doesnt turn the engine over, Try tapping the solenoid with a wooden hammer handle to see if the starter catches while someone holds the key in the start position. If it does you probably have worn contacts in you can usually disassemble and clean the contacts and all is good.
4. If its clicking but not,turning over, try jumping to bypass the solenoid using some wire or a screwdriver from the positive lead lug to the starter positive terminal and see if it turns over. If it wont turn over its probably a bad starter motor.
4. If the steps above causes no engagement or clicking sound, check the resistance across the solenoid coil. If open, shorted or out of spec on the ohms of resistance, you will need to replace. If the solenoid is clicking when using the key or bypassing the solenoid wont turn over the motor, check the starter motor windings spec to see if OK.

Last edited by Rossterman; 09-01-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 09-01-2013, 05:09 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 PS195, 350 Predator TBI
So we picked up a new battery and all is well again. Would like to thank everyone for the help and suggestions, I definitely have a better idea of how and what to include in diagnostics testing in the future.

Hope everyone has a good weekend
Old 09-01-2013, 06:08 PM
MC Master Poster

Good to hear the problem is solved.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $125 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 09-02-2013, 09:40 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30 GEN2
try shifting your boat in and out of gear.