Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-29-2013, 03:01 PM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Thanks peter - another resource for the file...
They are a great resource, and only a 10 minute drive from my house.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM
gimmemoedmb's Avatar
gimmemoedmb gimmemoedmb is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Hard to believe it isn't worse than that. I would do a quick repair to seal it up, then do a proper repair at the end of the season.

Buy some fiberglass resin & hardener and some white color, mask it off, mix it up and paint on a couple coats.

Get your supplies here. They are less than half the price than getting this from a marine dealer.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/
I really am surprised it wasn't worse. Which fiberglass resin is best to use? I would love to just use the the spectrum patch kit because it would be easiest, but I do feel like I should fill in the fiberglass a bit first. Does the fiberglass resin seal it so I would be able to use it this weekend? Then I could finish with the spectrum later? Turns out my old spectrum patch is dried up so I will need to order more anyway.
__________________
1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-30-2013, 09:22 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoedmb View Post
I really am surprised it wasn't worse. Which fiberglass resin is best to use? I would love to just use the the spectrum patch kit because it would be easiest, but I do feel like I should fill in the fiberglass a bit first. Does the fiberglass resin seal it so I would be able to use it this weekend? Then I could finish with the spectrum later? Turns out my old spectrum patch is dried up so I will need to order more anyway.
No problem with the fiberglass repair as a temporary measure. Be sure to put on enough to cover any damage but you don't need to overlap the edges by much. Simple to grind out at the end of the season and do a proper gel repair. First time doing gel work needs to be a slow process. Once you get then hang of it, you can do quick repairs without a problem.
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
gimmemoedmb's Avatar
gimmemoedmb gimmemoedmb is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 116
Sorry, I think I'm a bit confused. My thought was I would fill in with fiberglass filler first where I lost fiberglass, then use the spectrum patch kit to finish it off. But I guess now that I think about it I won't fill the whole gouge in with filler because I didn't lose fiberglass everywhere so that wouldn't be enough to get me out this weekend. I would need to cover the whole area first.

I'm starting to think I might just do it right the first time so I don't have to go back and fix it later. Any recommendations on what fiberglass filler to use? I read on some other forum that the polyester fillers aren't good for boats but that seems to be what the local auto parts stores carry.
__________________
1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:34 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 10,822
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoedmb View Post
Sorry, I think I'm a bit confused. My thought was I would fill in with fiberglass filler first where I lost fiberglass, then use the spectrum patch kit to finish it off. But I guess now that I think about it I won't fill the whole gouge in with filler because I didn't lose fiberglass everywhere so that wouldn't be enough to get me out this weekend. I would need to cover the whole area first.

I'm starting to think I might just do it right the first time so I don't have to go back and fix it later. Any recommendations on what fiberglass filler to use? I read on some other forum that the polyester fillers aren't good for boats but that seems to be what the local auto parts stores carry.
The polyester resins not as strong as vinyl resins... I would recommend the west systems products... or the ones Thatmrmastercraft recommends. If you have a west marine close by they usually have the product on the shelf.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:37 AM
thatsmrmastercraft's Avatar
thatsmrmastercraft thatsmrmastercraft is offline
MC Master Poster
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Location: St. Paul, MN
Posts: 14,815
I would talk to the folks at Express Composites for their material suggestions.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/
__________________
Peter

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $659
4 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $399
2 S5 or S5 Black 14x5.5 wheels, 2 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES



CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND - $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black


PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:40 AM
gimmemoedmb's Avatar
gimmemoedmb gimmemoedmb is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 116
I think this is what I'm looking for. There are several West Marines around here so hopefully one of them has it. Thanks guys!

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...0#.UiCuFD_Anps
__________________
1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 AM
gimmemoedmb's Avatar
gimmemoedmb gimmemoedmb is offline
TT Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Location: Burnsville, MN
Posts: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
I would talk to the folks at Express Composites for their material suggestions.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/
Or I will give them a call. I just can't make it there today so it wouldn't be until next week. Thanks for the suggestion and advice!
__________________
1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.