Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Hit an Unmarked Concrete Block – Repair Advice (w/ Pics)

I’ll get to what happened later, but I’m looking for some advice on what to do. I’m definitely going to get an estimate to have it done, but does this look like something I can do myself? Can I just use the spectrum gelcoat repair stuff to fill it all in or do I need to do fiberglass repair also? The other question is can I use the boat like this or should I get it repaired first? Of course it happens right before Labor Day weekend and we had planned on being out in the boat all weekend. I know that water will soak into the fiberglass and I will need to let it dry before repairing, so will too much water soak in if I use it? How long should I let it dry before making the repair?

As far as getting it professionally repaired…is Midwest MC the place to go or are there any other suggestions in the Twin Cities area? Do they do their own gel repair or send it out?

So here’s what happened…my wife and I were out on Prior Lake in MN last night. I’ve never really liked this lake all that much and we normally go to Minnetonka or the river but Prior is close to home. We decided to head back into Candy Cove because we had never been back there. There’s a small channel that leads back there with some structure right in the middle of the channel and also some no wake buoys. We enter on the right side and have no problems. On our way out I stay to the right of this structure (which would be the opposite side we entered on). As we come up to it I see that a buoy a little ahead of me and to the right is marking a rock. So I veer a little left to stay away from the rock and it puts me a little closer to this structure. I’m naturally assuming it’s deep next to this thing because it goes straight down. Then BAM. My heart drops and I go up to the front to see a huge concrete slab under the front of my boat. It had to have been about 6 feet square and 4 feet tall, sitting 8-10 inches under the water. I was fuming. I have no idea why they would mark a rock 20 feet away but a $*&#ing concrete slab is not marked. What a way to ruin a perfect night.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 03:09 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Ouch! A dealer is just going to farm it out and mark up the price. Just find a reputable glass guy. I don't think that will be a real expensive fix.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:10 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
I would just do a quick repair job for the weekend activitites and worry about getting it done correctly afterwards.

Get the fiberglass sealed up as best as possible without making a bigger mess than it is already.

I would tend to have a professional do it as it is on an angle but that is just my opinion.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '01 X9 330HP
Our local glass guy would have that fixed up in no time.

Really not that bad. Don't beat yourself up over it.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:17 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2, MCX
Sorry to hear this gimme! I believe Adam is still with Midwest MC and if so does a stellar job with repairs and gel.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
No biggy at at... Do it yourself. tape of the damaged area.. get the loosened gel coat off get matching gel coat... someone just fixed theirs here... at this link

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=56807

have a friend on prior lake.. it is a goofy lake in parts.... sorry to read about the damage.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 ProStar 205, 351 HO, 1:1
Thanks guys. I did repair some small nicks from a previous owner with the spectrum gel and it turned out real nice. I have some left over so maybe I'll at least get one layer on it to use it this weekend. Being that it was just in the water last night, is the fiberglass dry enough to do the repair today or should I let it dry out longer? I put a fan on it this morning to help speed up the dry time.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Hard to believe it isn't worse than that. I would do a quick repair to seal it up, then do a proper repair at the end of the season.

Buy some fiberglass resin & hardener and some white color, mask it off, mix it up and paint on a couple coats.

Get your supplies here. They are less than half the price than getting this from a marine dealer.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/

SPECIAL PACKAGE PRICING
4 ST205/75R14 Kenda KR03 radials
4 wheels of your choice
Mount, balance & free shipping
$529

CARBURETOR REBUILDING - $125 + PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
*** FREE DELIVERY ON ALL ORDERS ***[/center]

Coming soon.......TrailerEssentials.com
Old 08-29-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimmemoedmb View Post
Thanks guys. I did repair some small nicks from a previous owner with the spectrum gel and it turned out real nice. I have some left over so maybe I'll at least get one layer on it to use it this weekend. Being that it was just in the water last night, is the fiberglass dry enough to do the repair today or should I let it dry out longer? I put a fan on it this morning to help speed up the dry time.
Clean with acetone.. should be dry... there's some good vids on youtube. just be patient and make the repair are as small as possible. I had a gash in the bottom of mine - trailer too deep - doh! Here's the after...I did not ever want to see the gouge again...

I see a bit of glass scraped away... you may want to add a bit of glass filler.
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Hard to believe it isn't worse than that. I would do a quick repair to seal it up, then do a proper repair at the end of the season.

Buy some fiberglass resin & hardener and some white color, mask it off, mix it up and paint on a couple coats.

Get your supplies here. They are less than half the price than getting this from a marine dealer.

http://www.expresscomposites.com/
Thanks peter - another resource for the file...