Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Ballast

Old 07-28-2013, 03:49 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Xstar
Can somebody talk me trough the 3 hose system of the KGB bag on a 2000 Xstar.

Just finding me way around my new boat and shortly will be adding an auto ballast setup.

The standard aerator driven KGB seems to be working, but is slow. Trying to figure out how it works, is it as follows

Fill line is from through hull ( on transom?)
One vent line on starboard side
One discharge line over starboard side also

Does the stock bilge pump share a through hull outlet? If yes assume there are non return valves if they are sharing San outlet.

Thanks
Old 08-29-2013, 02:33 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2001 X-30 "Surf Edition", LTR, 2079 prop, FAE, straight silencers, 3000# ballast, custom platform, manual surf fin, 1050 Hours and counting
Pretty sure your 2000 XStar is same KGB design as my 2001 X30. Three thru-hull ports in the transom that feed the two hard tanks in the back compartments and the fatsac in the center locker. Each tank/sac has two lines on top for fill and vent, and one line on bottom for drain. Each fill and vent line has a dedicated port. The bilge pump also has a dedicated port.

The aerator pumps typically have higher GPH specs than the impeller pumps, but they are also much more sensitive to head-loss so you can improve performance by minimizing hose length, bends, and IDing/removing any kinks. My X30 has the Johnson/Mayfair cartridge pumps so was also very easy and inexpensive to upgrade all the cartridges to 1000 GPH and they perform pretty well.

I have considered replacing the aerators with ballast puppies, but decided the extra minute or so to fill/drain did not justify the money and effort.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:11 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1999 X-Star
I replaced all my ballast in my '99 partially due to it being "fixed" by previous owners. 3 Johnson ballast puppies, one for each rear locker bag and the ski locker. New thru hulls too. It was a simple and straightforward job, and the simplicity of the operation is great. One pump for fill/drain per bag. The new systems are awesome. One fill/drain to the bag and a vent to let the air out. I used the old drain ports above the waterline as vents, but they fill/drain below the waterline. WakeMakers is a great place. Complete, 2000lb system ran me approx $1200 and took a weekend to install.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
You KGB bag is as follows

1 fill as u mention from the transom. There is a check valve on this line and all the other fill lines as well.

1 drain as u mention starboard side

1 vent overflow on the port side

The second hole on the starboard side is for the bilge pump.

If you pop the fill pump cartridge out( move the black tab, twist and pop up.) it will have a tag for the gph. The factory was originally 500gph. You can purchase the cartridge motor itself for around 30 bucks (iirc ) and up it to 1000 or 1100gph for the best fill rate.

You can also lift the floor section up without unbolting anything and access all the hoses and routing. You just lift the floor up by the plug access port. Keep it as flat n level as possible and wiggle it forward. Viola instant access to everything.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 09-11-2013, 03:49 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Mastercraft, x-star, 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post
You KGB bag is as follows

1 fill as u mention from the transom. There is a check valve on this line and all the other fill lines as well.

1 drain as u mention starboard side

1 vent overflow on the port side

The second hole on the starboard side is for the bilge pump.

If you pop the fill pump cartridge out( move the black tab, twist and pop up.) it will have a tag for the gph. The factory was originally 500gph. You can purchase the cartridge motor itself for around 30 bucks (iirc ) and up it to 1000 or 1100gph for the best fill rate.

You can also lift the floor section up without unbolting anything and access all the hoses and routing. You just lift the floor up by the plug access port. Keep it as flat n level as possible and wiggle it forward. Viola instant access to everything.
Huh! Does that floor trick work on a 02 x-star?? <-- never mind just realized it has 6 bolts holding it in.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:27 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP46 View Post
Huh! Does that floor trick work on a 02 x-star?? <-- never mind just realized it has 6 bolts holding it in.
There are no bolts holding the rear section of the floor in. Mine fits really tight though, and I have to loosen the bolts on the center section of rear seat to get that section of the floor out.
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Quote:
Originally Posted by VP46 View Post
There should be no bolts holding that middle section of your floor in.

Sometimes it is a little tough as mentioned to get it free if it hasn't been popped out before, but the more u do it the better it gets. As JRW mentioned you can just loosen the bolts a bit attached to that middle seat section by removing the storage tray to gain access. It is really a simple job.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun