Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-26-2013, 12:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
It has 93 gel coat scheme, what appears to be some 93 interior pieces with a modified back seat, a chevy motor and dash pod out of a 91. Seems this boat has had some weird things done to it. Why would you put a chevy in rather than repair the ford? I would stay away from that boat for those reasons but look at all the corrosion on everything.
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1996 PS 190
That boat appears to be pretty well molested, stay away.
Old 08-26-2013, 02:05 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 190
Post up the hull #. I doubt that boat is a '93

1) engine should be a ford. The replacing it with a 350 is fine bc Chevys are cheaper to build than a ford 351. But, was the proper cam installed or does it have high out put heads, etc on it. I bet it is a normal 350 with not a lot of power.

2) the dash is not a '93 dash. It is a '91 dash.

3) the captain chair is not even a Mastercraft seat. If it was a '93 the the sides would not dip down where you can see bottom seat coushin from the sides.

4) the back seat is not even a mc seat. It was made so 3 passengers could sit back there but it is not original. I wonder what kind of material was made to build it.

5) the gel is great. If you purchase it use colanite 3 stage oxidation remover. Wipe on hand buff off. Very little elbow grease needed. If you have a buffer then badda bing a Saturday afternoon and she will look new. Also sand and oil the teak platform. There are plenty of threads here on how to DIY.

6) the trailer is a huge concern. A new trailer can be had for 4k. This being said make sure the trailer is not a pos.

Personally you can revive the boat and make it look very presentable. The back seat doesn't do it for me but if you're on a budget then I say get something that gets you on the water and let the labor of love get to work.

Btw it appears to have the power slot transmission. That is a very nice item to have.

I wouldn't rule it out bc of the engine conversion, I would just drive it and see if you like it. All of the pink in the gell will come out and be bright red again. But you will spend lots of hours putting the love into her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
"Heavy" beer is for wine drinkers that are too embarrassed to drink wine in front of their buddies. "Light" beer is a drinkin' man's beer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
If you want bling like the big dawgs, ya gotta lift your leg a little higher.....
Old 08-26-2013, 02:11 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Pass on the boat. There is no such thing as a good deal when it comes to buying someone else's problems. If the other person is willing to give you $4,000 to take the boat off his hands, that is what I would consider a good deal. Otherwise, walk away, in my opinion.

Salt is always an issue, regardless. You'll need new heads too.

Too many what-ifs... The guy that said the boat has been well cared for, etc??? Poo-Poo....and a lot of it..

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 08-26-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
These boats can be found for 10k with <1000 hours in pristine shape. The trailer is probably toast if it was in salt water. Take a ball peen hammer to every crossmember and I bet you find some dead spots. Find one in better shape, you will be skiing right away. Only buy this if you can get the price to 2k and you have a few hundred hours of free time to work on it.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 88 TriStar 190
Thanks everybody for the advice, I welcome all the input I can get. I am going to investigate some more before making a final decision.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:59 PM
MC Fanatic

Project boats are fun, I've resurrected a few basket case boats. Nothing like going thru a boat bow to stern knowing its right. If you start with an unmolested, original boat the project is much easier. The big issue I see here is not only is it not original, but I'm assuming you have to tow a few hundred miles each direction? Man, a lot can go wrong on a trip like that. I've flipped a few boats and haven't traveled further then 150 miles round trip. I would go further for a killer deal but this doesn't seem like the one to me.
Old 08-26-2013, 06:10 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
Looks like a Seattle WA trip to Minnesota....a few thousand miles.

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ski-me View Post
Looks like a Seattle WA trip to Minnesota....a few thousand miles.
U-Ship it!
Old 08-26-2013, 06:20 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
U-Ship it!
Pram pays, right?