Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: 88 TriStar 190
Possible 93 PS 190 Project...Advice Please!

Greetings,

OK, so this is my first post here on the forum as I am a new member and about to be a new owner of a Mastercraft tow boat. I grew up on a water ski team in Northern WI and have been looking at getting into skiing and a boat for a reasonable price... I think I might have found what I am looking for.

The boat is a 93 PS190 that I have ties to through a good friend of mine that lives in Tacoma, WA. This boat is owned by his boss and my buddy has spent many hours in this boat as his boss has let him use it often over the past 5-7 years. I will also say that I know my friend is quite knowledgeable in regards to maintaining the drivetrain and hull of boats. That being said, he believes the boat is very solid and really just needs some elbow grease. The following pics are what I am dealing with:

The boat was not used much at all in salt water, but was stored near the coast, so there is some corrosion issues on things like mounting screws, the trailer, and other misc things. The boat is solid though, the floor is good, the gel coat is good, and the motor runs great, but it does not look very good as can be seen in the pics (second post).

So now that I have rambled on, this is where I ask for advice. I can get the boat as is for $4,000 and will have almost a grand into the trip to go get it. Given the pics and the limited info I have provided, is this something that I should consider? What else should I bee looking for? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 11:33 AM
TT Newbie

More pics:
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2013, 11:40 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Prostar 205, 1994, LT1
So, what engine is that? I would of expected a Ford 351, carb engine but it looks like a GM....but also a carb. Has it been switched somehow or was this avaliable that year?

The upholstery looks to be redone and the rear seat doesn't look to be correct (modified during re-upholstery perhaps).

1994 205, LT1
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
93 with a Chevy? hmm thought they were Ford 351's - used in salt water always get's me thinking.. lot's of rust on the riser union.

What's your budget for repairs? A new set of risers and exhaust manifolds will be about $1K. I'd immediately install a new raw water pump - $185 - Kyle has a cool cupholder..

How many hours total? Wheres the top of the ski pylon?

If you're going to drive it back - would check drums and throw in a new set of bearings.

How old are the tires on trailer?

How do the springs look?

Do trailer breaks work? Trailer break refurb - $500-$1K
Old 08-26-2013, 11:56 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Rusty. Personally, I wouldn't touch anything that's touched salt water... Ever.

My. 02
Old 08-26-2013, 11:59 AM
TT Newbie

He put the Chevy motor in the boat about 5 years ago as I believe the previous motor failed at some point, total hours on the boat is just over 700, and the top of the ski pylon is in the storage area (I think it was removed so the tall pylon could be slotted over it). I really do not think it has had a lot of salt water use, but I am going to build a list of questions to ask this week. The good thing is that my buddy gets nothing out of me buying this boat, so he is making sure I get all the questions answered without any BS. The owner is not desperate to get rid of it (he has several boats), and does not need to get much out of it - it is a real casual sort of deal.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:16 PM
MC Addict

Boat: SN196
Send a message via AIM to rodltg2
For the amount of money and time to get in good shape, you would be better off finding a clean one local.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:20 PM
TT Hero

Boat: 2005 X-STAR & 1993 Prostar 190 Limited
Nice project boat! If it runs and you can ski behind it then $4K is an ok price (although I'd try to knock that down a bit if possible)

If the trailer is really rusty, I'd think twice about trailering it home. Try to rent a flatbed trailer somewhere or use Uship.com

Even if the engine doesn't last, you could spend up to $6K more in repairs/cosmetics and still only have $10K into it and it will last you another 10-20 years with proper care.

Clean up what you can, change all the fluids, tune up, impeller, belt, etc and run it.
You may want to get a marine survey done since you're so far away. Good ammo to negotiate a lower price.
Old 08-26-2013, 12:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: changes every month
for 3-4k do it.. even a brand new reman is 2800 for an lt1...
Old 08-26-2013, 12:47 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseydave View Post
Nice project boat! If it runs and you can ski behind it then $4K is an ok price (although I'd try to knock that down a bit if possible)

If the trailer is really rusty, I'd think twice about trailering it home. Try to rent a flatbed trailer somewhere or use Uship.com

Even if the engine doesn't last, you could spend up to $6K more in repairs/cosmetics and still only have $10K into it and it will last you another 10-20 years with proper care.

Clean up what you can, change all the fluids, tune up, impeller, belt, etc and run it.
You may want to get a marine survey done since you're so far away. Good ammo to negotiate a lower price.
I agree, but why do all that work? For 10k you could get a need nothing locally...