Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
You mean like rubrail in the back? That would make sense. 200 v is famous for that from the factory. The 211's were as well.
Yup! - Traxxx was getting a ton of water before he had his fixed on his maristar...there's a video of if around here somewhere.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 03 prostar
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie guy View Post
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??
It is.
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM

easy to remove and re-install... pour warm to hot water on it - or use heat gun to remove. Installation just need a heat gun and a wooden spatula
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM
TT Newbie

OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for?
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for?
You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
TT Newbie

I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.
I've repaired boats after its been done like that. It may even fix your problem, but I would never do that to my boat. Couldn't sleep at nite...
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.
That's how it should be done...