Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > General / Other

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old 08-24-2013, 05:47 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,725
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
You mean like rubrail in the back? That would make sense. 200 v is famous for that from the factory. The 211's were as well.
Yup! - Traxxx was getting a ton of water before he had his fixed on his maristar...there's a video of if around here somewhere.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-24-2013, 06:05 PM
bowtie guy's Avatar
bowtie guy bowtie guy is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 03 prostar
Location: Chico, NorCal
Posts: 26
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:12 PM
chriscraftmatt1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie guy View Post
I checked the hull deck joint and appears OK. Don't know if rub rail removal is required for thorough inspection??
It is.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:25 PM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,725
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
easy to remove and re-install... pour warm to hot water on it - or use heat gun to remove. Installation just need a heat gun and a wooden spatula
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:48 PM
bowtie guy's Avatar
bowtie guy bowtie guy is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 03 prostar
Location: Chico, NorCal
Posts: 26
OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-24-2013, 07:59 PM
Cloaked Cloaked is offline
MC Maniac
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Boat: MasterCraft
Location: Kingston,TN USA
Posts: 4,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie guy View Post
OK will do. I will post back with findings...what exactly am I looking for?
You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

.
__________________
93 190
.
Don't be a boot licker
.

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8



Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-24-2013, 08:15 PM
bowtie guy's Avatar
bowtie guy bowtie guy is offline
TT Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Boat: 03 prostar
Location: Chico, NorCal
Posts: 26
I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-26-2013, 09:18 AM
chriscraftmatt1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtie guy View Post
I very much like that solution! Many thanks for so much input, very appreciated.
I've repaired boats after its been done like that. It may even fix your problem, but I would never do that to my boat. Couldn't sleep at nite...
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:27 AM
mikeg205's Avatar
mikeg205 mikeg205 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Location: Plainfield - Joliet, IL
Posts: 11,725
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloaked View Post
You're making this harder than it should be.

Get up under the rub rail with a gun loaded with silicon caulking. Cut a small portion of the tip off and look for any place you can get that tip and squirt it full. Run up each side and all around looking for a crack or crevice you can fill... wipe off any excess and let it set overnight. Done deal.

I've seen this issue on many of the older boats and that has always been my remedy. The only way I'd pull the rub rail (too many rivets) is if I were going to split the deck from the hull or was going to replace the rail and the filler. Otherwise, it's as sound as it will ever be, you just need to fill a few open places.

.
As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.
__________________
...A bad day water skiing still beats a good day at work...1995 Pro Star 205....
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-26-2013, 11:41 AM
chriscraftmatt1976
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
As I can agree always with cloaked - this project took me 4 hours start to finish. The biggest PITA was removing the loose rivets. I used 3m 5200 to re-seal the hull deck seam and then each rivet got a installed with 3M 5200 - hope to get another 17 years on this repair - boat bone dry now. Most water comes on from dripping skiers.

My rub rail was loose in a bunch of places where PO rub something a bit to hard.., not a big job at all. I started on a rainy Saturday night - finished up Sunday morning... but I did mine in the off season.
That's how it should be done...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:44 PM.