Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Tow Vehicles

Old 10-11-2012, 01:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Different model year, but it may help out.

I pulled our 1998 Maristar 200 VRS (think early 2000's x10) with my 1998 4.0L V6 Explorer for a lot of miles, and never had a problem or a concern (except when traveling over 75 mph, when the trailer would oscillate a bit). I had to slow down to 55 mph or so when going up 6% grade on the way to Lake Powell, but never had a concern when braking.

There are some on this board who advocate the "I have a truck that's so big I can't even tell when 5000 pounds of boat are hooked up to the back", but my personal opinion is that they're a bit over the top. I could tell when the 4000 pounds of boat+trailer were hooked up to my Explorer, but I never felt that my family was in greater danger as a result.

/frank
Old 08-25-2013, 07:48 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
Get a 3/4 ton or larger. I have a 2001 F-250 with the V-10. Payed 7k for it. I get 10mpg at 65-70 through the Montana mountains. It has 130k miles. If I do my part on the hills it never even leaves O/D. I am happy with the money I saved, power and great towing power I gained by going with a reliable older truck. Doesn't leak or burn any oil, I even swapped it to a synthetic blend with the eventual plans of going full synthetic. It's not a beauty but it does the intended job very well. My typical lake trip is at minimum 100 miles away. So something that pulls well was a requirement for me.