Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Thanks to everyone for their input on this. I'm pretty sure this trailer has original parts from 2004, due to the fact it was rarely used. So, it may be that it is a caliper problem, especially since I am having difficulty on one side only.

How big of a job is it to replace calipers? I haven't done brakes yet, but have done lots of other things on my vehicles including replaced multiple starters, adjusted valve lifters, etc. It seems that the job should be pretty straightforward but I don't want to assume . . .

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft X2 2003 mcx
jack up each tire and spin the wheel if there is a lot of drag the caliper is hung up.And time to replace.very easy to do..I recommend Kodiak 225 calipers they will bolt on no mods.

"Was it over when the German's bombed pearl harbor ?"
---Animal house
Old 08-22-2013, 09:33 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Calipers are easy just like on a car. 2 bolts to remove the caliper then remove the brake line from the caliper. Reverse the procedure to reinstall. The harder or messier part is bleeding the brakes. Do a couple searches on this site there should be several good posts on doing this.
Old 08-24-2013, 09:47 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Thanks to all the great responses. I've made the decision to do the caliper replacement myself, as it is clear that the starboard side wheel is not turning freely. Thanks, also, bturner, for the recommendation.

I see a couple of different options for the Kodiak 225 caliper, most are around $85 each, depending on finish:

http://www.easternmarine.com/kodiak-...e-coat-dbc225e

http://www.easternmarine.com/kodiak-...cad-dbc225scad

However, there is this assembly which sounds identical but costs much more ($175):

http://www.easternmarine.com/kodiak-...sy-ss-dbc225ss

Do I need two of the $85 version or the $175 version? Also, is this a good vendor or would anyone have other recommendations?

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.