Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
You might have been able to salvage an actuator for the swim pad. I have same hull maristar and I have the actuator that lift is via button on dash and that held it down also.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:28 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
You might have been able to salvage an actuator for the swim pad. I have same hull maristar and I have the actuator that lift is via button on dash and that held it down also.
We had the actuator on the sunpad but it took forever to open and close and we were always filling and emptying ballast in the v-drive lockers (surfing to wakeboarding and vice versa) and getting life jackets out when switching riders, so we decided to do away with the actuator and gain some room for more ballast It was cool at first but just got to be frustrating after awhile haha. No one else ever remembered how to open it or where the button was etc.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:27 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
Whalenjf, I am anxious to see how you mounted those struts. I know you got yours in but here's how I put mine on the sides. I used the long struts so I could still reach over to load. What did you use to shine up the gel coat? I got mine pretty good with Meguire's but it didn't last. Did you start with wet sanding? Thanks for the help.
Scott
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 11:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 Xstar
I NEED that swim pad! Tell me what to do. Is it available in different colors?
Old 08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarten View Post
Whalenjf, I am anxious to see how you mounted those struts. I know you got yours in but here's how I put mine on the sides. I used the long struts so I could still reach over to load. What did you use to shine up the gel coat? I got mine pretty good with Meguire's but it didn't last. Did you start with wet sanding? Thanks for the help.
Scott
My friend sent me a few pictures of how we mounted the struts. The dividers are also visible in the pictures, you can see how far in we moved them to get more room in the v-drive lockers. We still haven't found time to mount the latch though..... haha.

As for gel coat, it came out pretty well considering it looked like a chalkboard before haha. We started by wet sanding a few areas that had some scratches, ghosting from old decals, etc. Then we used a Porter Cable buffer and Performance Boat Candy products to compound polish and wax it. We used the extreme cut compound along with, the regular polish, and the polymer wax. I also use wipe it down with their speed gloss after most outings.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by john jones View Post
I NEED that swim pad! Tell me what to do. Is it available in different colors?
They will make it anyway you want it just give them a call. The 1st link shows the basic designs that they offer. 2nd link shows the different color options.

225 VRS Pattern: http://www.seadek.com/p-137-mastercraft-225-vrs.aspx

Colors available: http://www.seadek.com/c-92-color-guide.aspx
Old 08-22-2013, 02:03 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalenjf View Post
We had the actuator on the sunpad but it took forever to open and close and we were always filling and emptying ballast in the v-drive lockers (surfing to wakeboarding and vice versa) and getting life jackets out when switching riders, so we decided to do away with the actuator and gain some room for more ballast It was cool at first but just got to be frustrating after awhile haha. No one else ever remembered how to open it or where the button was etc.
Surprised it was that much of an issue. I like the button. And don't find it a burden at all. I kind of like people not being able to go in and out of there at their pleasure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-22-2013, 02:21 PM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
Looks pretty slick! You weren't kidding about moving the dividers closer to the engine The PVC doesn't get too warm that close? It would be nice to have the extra room back there. Thanks for the info on the gel coat. I'll give it a try.
Old 08-23-2013, 03:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 Maristar 210 Predator
Impressive. Everything is looking great! That Seadeck really changes the look of the swim platform for the better. It looks like you have a little discoloration on some of the vinyl. If you wanted a fix for that, you could get some vinyl dye. If you plan on getting the interior redone next year, then I might not worry about it, but the dye is supposed to be a good way to prolong the look of the vinyl. Keep up the inspiration.

BTW, what impresses me more than the job itself is the fact that you are doing this as a married man with kids. Kudos, bc I couldn't make that happen without all of this taking me two years or more to get where you are now.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:18 PM
TT Regular

Sorry guys, just got back from my lake vacation on Buggs Island since August 23rd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Surprised it was that much of an issue. I like the button. And don't find it a burden at all. I kind of like people not being able to go in and out of there at their pleasure.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
To be honest, if we hadn't remade the engine dividers we probably would have left it alone, we tend to tinker too much and try to over-improve stuff that probably didn't need fixing in the first place haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarten View Post
Looks pretty slick! You weren't kidding about moving the dividers closer to the engine The PVC doesn't get too warm that close? It would be nice to have the extra room back there. Thanks for the info on the gel coat. I'll give it a try.
They get a little warm to the touch, but not any warmer than anything else back in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC2MC View Post
Impressive. Everything is looking great! That Seadeck really changes the look of the swim platform for the better. It looks like you have a little discoloration on some of the vinyl. If you wanted a fix for that, you could get some vinyl dye. If you plan on getting the interior redone next year, then I might not worry about it, but the dye is supposed to be a good way to prolong the look of the vinyl. Keep up the inspiration.

BTW, what impresses me more than the job itself is the fact that you are doing this as a married man with kids. Kudos, bc I couldn't make that happen without all of this taking me two years or more to get where you are now.
Thanks for the compliments! That's a good thought about the vinyl dye but I think we're just going to live with it for one more season and then get the interior replaced. The previous owner didn't take very good care of the vinyl and it's a little crunchy in a few areas and some threads are starting to pop along wiith some vinyl starting to tear

While I'd love to take credit for doing this with a wife and kids, it's quite the opposite haha. I'll be 27 this weekend and I'm single (long term gf though) with no kids. I'm trying to get all my toys established before the wife and kids!

My best friend and I went in together to fix this boat up since whenever we ride we're usually both on the boat, and we both hate paying full price for anything. We've wrenched on plenty of LT1's and LS1's in cars and trucks to have some spare parts laying around to make the boat rebuild a little easier too.