Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-21-2013, 03:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
Board Repair

My 2007 Ronix Vault is looking pretty rough.

Unfortunately, the "skin" (outermost layer of board) on the bottom of board has started peeling off. It's not flaking off, rather, the skin has lost adhesion to bottom side of board. It kind of resembles a banana peel in that it's still intact but has separated from board on one end. Has anyone else encountered this problem? Any epoxy or glue recommendations for getting bottom skin to stick to board without making a sloppy mess?

Last edited by StrmChzr; 08-22-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:54 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
I would contact Ronix... I know it's a 2007 but the adhesive should not fail like that.. flake off I could see from UV if you always left it outside - but come of in strips and sheets I am sure they would like to know...
Old 08-22-2013, 09:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2005 XStar
I took your advice Mike and sent Ronix an email with same info I posted on this thread. Brian responded promptly and recommended super glue or epoxy to reattach skin to board. He also recommend putting a bead of glue around the edge of board to prevent problem from reoccurring.

I assumed this would be their recommendation but always nice to have solid prompt reply to a customer service issue. Now if I can just prevent gluing my hands to board, I should be ok....
Old 08-23-2013, 01:44 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
From what you describe, I would suspect the amount of area is too much for super glue because it would be too expensive plus the glue would set way too fast while working. So I would suggest you find some epoxy that has a longer curing time. Also you may want to thin the epoxy a little with denatured alcohol to make it easier to work with, i.e. spread. The keyword there was a little. Playing cards are a good (cheap) choice to use as a spreading tool. I always like to coat both objects that are going to be joined, then squeeze out the air and excess epoxy. Tape the edges down so that they will stay until the epoxy cures.

Oh, use some disposable gloves and avoid having to clean your hands with solvents. Maybe next time I'll use my own advice on that one.

Epoxy is strong and will bond really well. The only problem is that for really smooth surfaces it will tend to peel easier. You might want to use some sand paper to score the surfaces before you glue them.

My son had a crappy board that the same thing happened. We just decided to scrap the board.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:17 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
I'm assuming you've had this board for 5 seasons right? I ask because I typically will buy boards that are last year's model or in the case of my current Murray board it was actually new but 2 model years of graphics old and am trying to get a feel for how many seasons of riding it took to get in this state.

Did you do any rail or dock bumping with this board?
Did you abuse it?
Was it stored outside during the winter?

I have Hyperlite boards that I've owned over the years that are 15 years old that still look pretty good with the exception of the bindings. Just wondering why if this is a 3 or 4 season board that's had typical mid west seasonal use with reasonable care is falling apart like this. That is assuming that statement is correct.

I'm also surprised RONIX didn't offer you some kind of discount or trade in on the board after you called them with the issue your having. Based on your experience (if you didn't abuse the board) I think I'll be sticking with my Hyperlite boards going forward and will leave RONIX out of the picture for consideration. There's no way a non abused board with reasonable care should be falling apart after 3 or 4 short seasons IMO.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post
I took your advice Mike and sent Ronix an email with same info I posted on this thread. Brian responded promptly and recommended super glue or epoxy to reattach skin to board. He also recommend putting a bead of glue around the edge of board to prevent problem from reoccurring.

I assumed this would be their recommendation but always nice to have solid prompt reply to a customer service issue. Now if I can just prevent gluing my hands to board, I should be ok....
Get some 2 part epoxy from Lowe's/Depot and use some wood clamps to hold it until it's dry.

I repaired one of my boards like that after I dropped it on the concrete once and split the edge. You can hardly tell now. Been repaired for a year now and still solid

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-23-2013, 08:38 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrmChzr View Post

Just do as Traxx recommended with the 2-part resin - where those plastics gloves... I hate getting resin on my hands... get some of the cheap mixing buckets and plastic applicators so you can just throw everything out when done.

Still can believe it de-laminated after such a short time.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Mastercraft X10
Quote:
Originally Posted by bturner2 View Post
I'm assuming you've had this board for 5 seasons right? I ask because I typically will buy boards that are last year's model or in the case of my current Murray board it was actually new but 2 model years of graphics old and am trying to get a feel for how many seasons of riding it took to get in this state.

Did you do any rail or dock bumping with this board?
Did you abuse it?
Was it stored outside during the winter?

I have Hyperlite boards that I've owned over the years that are 15 years old that still look pretty good with the exception of the bindings. Just wondering why if this is a 3 or 4 season board that's had typical mid west seasonal use with reasonable care is falling apart like this. That is assuming that statement is correct.

I'm also surprised RONIX didn't offer you some kind of discount or trade in on the board after you called them with the issue your having. Based on your experience (if you didn't abuse the board) I think I'll be sticking with my Hyperlite boards going forward and will leave RONIX out of the picture for consideration. There's no way a non abused board with reasonable care should be falling apart after 3 or 4 short seasons IMO.
Hyperlite is the same as Ronix. I called them a few months ago with the exact same issue on my Hyperlite board and they said first I need the receipt from where I bought it and the warranty is only for 3 years. I don't have the receipt and the board is 4 years old. It is so bad that I just bought a new board. The plastic peeled off all the edges and about half of it is gone.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:03 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

I used to work for a hyperlite dealer and you wouldn't believe how many boards delaminate like that.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Check out: Humanoid wake, slingshot, sine boards, gator boards (I own a gator legend and f'ing love it)

Steer clear of Ronix, hyperlite, liquid force, O'Brien imho.

Everyone has them. There are way better boards out there.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2