Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 04:49 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2002 X-Star, LTR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert View Post
GST and PST on boat, PST on trailer? Is that correct? What is 7% for?

Will I ever be able to afford living in BC. Yikes!
You pay both GST and PST on the trailer, too. GST on trailer is paid at the border. PST is paid when you register the trailer with ICBC.

GST and PST on boat are both paid at the border.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2000 Mastercraft Prostar 195 - LTR, ZeroFlex Tower
I don't remember paying any tax on the boat at the border. I definitely paid the taxes on the trailer at the border. This was 9 years ago. Maybe things have changed.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:02 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Prostar 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Star View Post
You pay both GST and PST on the trailer, too. GST on trailer is paid at the border. PST is paid when you register the trailer with ICBC.

GST and PST on boat are both paid at the border.
Man BC really knows how to collect.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:52 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 Pro Tournament 197-Cadillac LQ9
Also the $295 RIV fee to register the trailer, sometimes paid at border or billed later but they do get it if you want a plate for the trailer!!
Old 08-16-2013, 01:52 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
Does anyone know anyone working at the Martin motorsports in Edmonton
Old 08-22-2013, 05:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
I know most of the people there.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 08-23-2013, 12:34 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2005 X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by airwear View Post
I don't remember paying any tax on the boat at the border. I definitely paid the taxes on the trailer at the border. This was 9 years ago. Maybe things have changed.
I've brought back two US boats (and three cars) to Alberta over the past 12 years. Proof of ownership/purchase includes a bill of sale that separately lists the boat and the trailer. Some states title the boat and trailer, some one or the other, some neither (ex. TN.) Can be a bit of a hassle when the Canada Customs guy wants to see the titles and you have to explain/prove that they come from a state that does not title the boat and/or the trailer. I also made sure that I had proof that the purchase price of the boat was legit -- seller's ad, other similar boat ads, NADA value, etc.

There have been guys who have shown up at the boarder with low-ball fake bills of sale. The border agents are no dummies -- they can Google your boat and call you out faster than you can make up an excuse. Then you have to walk home from the border since they seize both the boat and your tow vehicle.

We have no provincial sales tax in Alberta so I only paid GST plus the Registry of Imported Vehicles fee. Then there is the trailer inspection at Canadian Tire. The Feds are more interested in the trailer than the boat since it is a "vehicle." Both times they checked the VIN on the trailer but ignored the HIN on the boat itself. With my first boat, I had MC issue me a new VIN tag since I knew the numbers on the original foil one had long since worn off and might cause me grief at the border.

With my first boat I had it filled with all kinds of marine stuff that I had purchased while in the US -- new prop, new spare tire, new cover, etc. I had an itemized list with receipts -- they never even looked at them when I offered them.