Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2013, 03:30 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
That I am not sure. I think it was a combination of back pressure and a cheap exhaust gasket, not the head gasket as mikeg said, but CR, do you think that's viable that the combination of those things caused it? It happened right after throttle down and idle, went to speed back up, gasket was blown.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
I would not think so. I would go with poor gasket, bolts probably backing out a bit and possibly the mating surfaces not being cleaned well enough.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:36 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 Gen II X30 SS
$500 for an exhaust mixer with questionable impact seems like alot. havent seen too many complaints from surfers on here?
Also, I dont think having the exhaust "sucked" out helps either as you need a certain amount of back pressure to optimize performance. The amount the boats/motors cost, I wouldnt put anything on thats not fully proven to add perfromance.
I dont understand why u guys dont like the sound of these motors? I kinda like the rumble...if u wanna hear the stereo, get another pair of speakers!

Last edited by DHPRO; 08-22-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2008 X30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jafo9 View Post
Just curious. I put on my FAE last April right before the season and enjoyed it this summer. About 2/3 through the summer, the motor started having problems and culminated in my local MC dealer putting in a reman motor (Rambo Marine). I got a call yesterday from Rambo and they told me the new motor was in and cranked and ran on the hose. They felt that the FAE may have led to the demise of the original motor. We won't have a definitive cause until Jasper gets the motor back and sends a report but it sounded like a rod had come loose and a bearing was long gone. They found metal pieces in the oil. They felt it revved up normally on the hose without the FAE attached but with the FAE attached they felt it was somewhat restricted and didn't rev up as well. They felt that an increase in back pressure was bad for the motor and may have led to its demise.

My first thought was that their theory may be true while in neutral revving the motor, but that while underway the flow of water over the exhaust tip would help pull the exhaust from the motor and overcome any restriction.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.
No way----- if back pressure was that great o2 sensors what have been going nuts !!!
Old 08-22-2013, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

There's alot of engineering that goes into these exhaust systems. They arent just routed the way they are because thats where there was space. Length, size, header design, collector design & size are all a matched package with cam, valves, heads...etc. Ilmor is F1 & NASCAR heritage, so Im guessing before I put one of these on my new boat, I'd be emailing them first for an opinion.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2000 X-star
Not to beat a dead horse, but seeing as how PCM and Nautique have put it on their biggest engine possible and are signing paperwork as a factory option I am pretty sure they did their homework. For a small run very specific product I think is a great accomplishment. Tige did the same a while back......also a PCM power plant , but the Tige contract never left the ground besides being mentioned at dealers as $$ numbers couldnt be worked out. There will always be skeptics for any aftermarket product.

I like the sound as much as anyone, but 4-6 hrs in a boat in the back bench with riders in tow all day makes me appreciate the FAE. It's also nice to have a full conversation in the boat without yelling n screaming over the engine noise in the background when we entertain friends (which is more and more these days) when the tower speakers are not jamming. It allows my family to enjoy the water more and for longer periods of time. It's an option. Some like it some don't, but to say it harms your boat in anyway I think is a misconception.

I am not preaching to the choir about CO fumes as I truly don't believe an FAE is mandatory for a surfer to ride safely and stay alive. I think it's a great addition. I will share this. I had a noticeable difference in the way my body felt after spending a day on the water in a boat without FAE surfing for 6 hrs than one with the FAE. I got much less fatigued from the buzz of the engine and just muscle aches while on the sundeck in each boat on back to back days on the water.

Previous : 2000 X-Star, 3000lbs ballast, LTR 330, Acme 1235 14.5X14.25prop. 1200 hrs of flawless fun
Old 08-22-2013, 04:53 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by swatguy View Post

Maybe some of the engine gurus can chime in, but these engines all have computers scanning and using all the data making tiny adjustments to optimize performance.
The only way an ECM can compensate for a difference in air flow is to have a sensor in the trailing edge of said FAE which there is not, therefore the ECM is NOT adjusting for the FAE and only operating only to oem specs.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-22-2013 at 05:06 PM.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.mccreight@hotmail.com View Post
The only way an ECM can compensate for a difference in air flow is to have a sensor in the trailing edge of said FAE which there is not, therefore the ECM is NOT adjusting for the FAE and only operating only to oem specs.
O2 sensors should adjust to account for changes in flow (again, I have no idea how marine sensors differ from cars). Those OEM spec'd boats would be interested to see if they have any diff mapping in the fuel tables or timing as a result. If not, then I'd feel lots more comfortable adding it to mine.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHPRO View Post
O2 sensors should adjust to account for changes in flow (again, I have no idea how marine sensors differ from cars). Those OEM spec'd boats would be interested to see if they have any diff mapping in the fuel tables or timing as a result. If not, then I'd feel lots more comfortable adding it to mine.
How could O2 sensors adjust for added exhaust tubes, changes in flow etc. when they aren't even there (after the FAE). BTW the "sensors" on engines don't compensate for air flow or the like, the characteristic (or flow) of an engine is preprogrammed in the ECM, the only thing an O2 sensor does is measure the amount of Oxygen in the exhaust gases and reports to the ECM then the ECM makes adjustments to the air/ fuel mixture, flow has nothing to do with it.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Old 08-22-2013, 06:20 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 77 S&S, 1983 S&& PS, and now a 98 Anniversary S&S LT1 PS
Seems to me that if an engine is an "air pump", and the exit was blocked, how would you get more in then? If there is no where to go (pressures being equal) then additional air would not go in. The cylinders would stay filled with pressurized gas (which would equalize as the pistons travel down) but not accept any more when it reached BDC. And since the gas would contain very little oxygen, combustion would not be supported. If there is no combustion, then there would be no additional pressure on the piston. Then rpms would be extremely limited even though the operator would continue to open the throttle. However, nothing would happen.

So my question would be did the engine go fast prior to the noise? If it did, then it was not the FAE.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:20 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft 2008 X30
If and I mean big "IF" the back pressure was so great that it was restricting the engine efficiency (The ratio of the output to the input of any system) then unused gases in the exhaust would be symptom number one... I say again o2 sensors would have engine warnings alarming !!