Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 09:26 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2002 230 VRS
Random Thoughts From OCD New to Me Owner

Sorry for the useless post, but I'm (according to mapquest) 1710.28 miles from my boat on business and about to describe how I got her to the lake. I was "not looking" for the Mastercraft that I wanted since I could remember. Found one about 200 miles from my house. One season and about $10k short, I bought her. The plan was to sell my 98 Harris pontoon in the interim to pay for a small portion of the MC. The problem is that my mother in law split my floating dock with the pontoon, so selling it has been what we call a "challenge." Nonetheless, I went forward with the purchase of the 230 VRS and hoped for the best. No trailer. BYOT. Borrowed a buddy's 98 225 trailer that he used on occassion. Towed it to pickup no problem. I took a day off for safety's sake.

Loaded her up. 42 miles into the trip blowout on portside rear tire occurs.

Suffice it to say that at 4:30 on a random road in NW Alabama, people are either (1) going to shoot you if you pull into their driveway, or (2) going to go out of their way to help you. Those are your only two options. It's Russian roulette with bad odds. I'm not blaming either decision, you never know what the right one could be. So I sat on the platform and watched troopers drive by and give me that "if I don't look maybe he won't think I was really ignoring him" look.

An unnamed good Samaritan pulls up on his way home from work and tells me to follow him in to his driveway. They have big yards up there. I park the boat in his yard and we jack it up. He tells me to run into town (20 miles down the road) to get a new tire mounted. Problem is, Wal-Market doesn't carry the load tire I need, and "company policy" prohibits them from mounting anything else on the rim. I go back to good Samaritan's house and explain I have to leave new-to-me at his house overnight while I go to Birmingham to get a tire mounted. No problem for GS after I explain I will return with as many steaks and beers as he needs. He reassuringly tells me that "no one is going to xxxx with that boat tonight." See, even he has to make that Roulette decision sometimes.

Well, the tire was supposed to be at my tire shop at 700 sharp that morning. It got lost somewhere in transit. I get to good Samaritan's house about noon. He's cutting his yard, except for the portion where that idiot from Birmingham's boat is. I give him his Sam Adam's and butcher shop 1 inch Ribeyes, and we mount the rim. His jack actually holds under load overnight, unlike mine. He laughs as he says the other three tires look ok. Actually, he said "you never know when a trailer tire is going to blow." I replied, no ****. We shook hands and he waived me off.

All I wanted to do was to get through Middle Alabama where construction lasts at least 15 years at a time. Bottom line - no shoulder. You blow out, you die. I make it. Past Birmingham, AL, through all the cities between there and Lake Martin, except for one. 20 miles from my turn, the hiss begins again. I immediately pull over because I don't want tire treads on the side of the boat that I can't afford. Pop. This one was more of a hole that the total gator I released in North Alabama. No boat damage. Fiberglass fenders on the trailer are a different story altogether.

A cop pulls up with his lights on. I candidly admit that I knew the trailer light on the portside had been attacked by the earlier blowout and asked him to give me a ticket to add insult to injury. He declined. He also gave the name of a tire place in Sylacauga, AL, called Miller Tire that would dismount and mount on site. I called Mr. Miller. He said it would cost a little more for them to come there. I didn't give a rip. Kids were waiting at the dock. Blowout to road, 45 minutes, thanks to the cop and Mr. Miller. (by the way, the on site service by Miller cost less than taking my rim to a tire shop in BHAM - $169). There's something to be said for old school shops.

Get it to the water, mount my bimini top backwards, and it has been used every day since. I'm as OCD as it comes. Bimini top is still backwards.

So for any of you considering purchasing a boat and borrowing a trailer to tow it, budget in about 500 for tires on a tandem for your friend's trailer. Depending on how nice he is, several times that for fenders and lights.

That being said, I couldn't be happier to be a part of the team and on this site. Happy and safe boating (and trailering).

By the way, I totally forgot about my BoatUS trailer coverage. It's 14 bucks and well worth it.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:32 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Times, that was an adventure, and a half. At least you got her home safe. Congrats on the purchase, post up pics when you get a chance.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2002 X30 LTR
you know what they say...

without pictures, it didn't happen.

congrats on surviving the journey.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:43 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
Wow....what a journey! I grew up with a John Johnson in Ca.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Newbie

Tell me how to get them from my ipad to this forum and I will post. I have the Nintendo 64 version of the ipad if that helps. I've tried everything.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:49 PM
TT Newbie

Here are some photos. Backward bimini too.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 08:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X55, 2013, 7.4L
As a fellow (transplanted) Alabamian, I chuckled a few times from your story and boy it felt familiar. Agree with the Russian roulette, especially on the backroads.

Congrats on the purchase. That story should be really entertaining in 20 years after it's ripened a bit.

enjoy your toy!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:02 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 12 X-25 its ok old X-10 the best
NIce boat! Congrats on the purchase!! i have 01 that i love and wonder how i lived with out it all these years. and what a story, glad you got home safe even though what a pain in the A**. i bet that first boat trip washed the frustration away!
Old 08-21-2013, 05:45 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarndahl View Post
NIce boat! Congrats on the purchase!! i have 01 that i love and wonder how i lived with out it all these years. and what a story, glad you got home safe even though what a pain in the A**. i bet that first boat trip washed the frustration away!
You hit the nail on the head. My kids were skiing behind the pontoon. One on trainers and one just out of them. Within 2 weeks, my oldest son was cutting the wake heelside and toeside on a wakeboard. Daughter (6) is getting comfortable going outside of the wake. Youngest son (3) is still working on getting up on my daughter's pink wakeboard and absolutely will not give up. The bindings are too far apart, but hell, he'll grow into them between now and next Spring. Son and I have even been doubling on the boards. They are now to the point where they are itching to get to the lake as soon as school is out on Friday for the last few pulls of the Summer. Family time at its best.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:10 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1992 Mastercraft Prostar 205
Send a message via MSN to fletch_n_me
That was a great story - thanks for the laugh tonight.