Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-17-2013, 09:09 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonsbrodie View Post
A flat ski is bad. You lose angle and speed, especially crossing the wakes and just before the turn. You have good knee bend, but you need to bring your shoulders back so that they are always behind your hips in a stacked position from your feet to your head. As others have said, don't wait to turn. You should always be either on edge, or changing edges and never flat except just before your turn in for the course. You have a good core to work from, just need to get into a stacked position and always keep moving from side to side. One more tip: with shouders back, keep your elbows tucked into your vest as your pulling from side to side. As soon as you get forward, the boat wins.
Thanks!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisonsbrodie View Post
A flat ski is bad. You lose angle and speed, especially crossing the wakes and just before the turn. You have good knee bend, but you need to bring your shoulders back so that they are always behind your hips in a stacked position from your feet to your head. As others have said, don't wait to turn. You should always be either on edge, or changing edges and never flat except just before your turn in for the course. You have a good core to work from, just need to get into a stacked position and always keep moving from side to side. One more tip: with shouders back, keep your elbows tucked into your vest as your pulling from side to side. As soon as you get forward, the boat wins.
Unless you have broken free on the crossing... just sayin....
Old 08-21-2013, 04:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Video from the course yesterday. So frustrating to be this bad at skiing! Can't wait to go to Coble in a couple of weeks to get some in-person coaching.

https://vimeo.com/72774953
Old 08-21-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Video from the course yesterday. So frustrating to be this bad at skiing! Can't wait to go to Coble in a couple of weeks to get some in-person coaching.

https://vimeo.com/72774953
Riding the tail too much... the lesson will help... I need to try a course... maybe next month...

What speed were you riding at?

mike
Old 08-21-2013, 08:12 PM
MC Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Riding the tail too much... the lesson will help... I need to try a course... maybe next month...

What speed were you riding at?

mike
No PP on my boat yet, somewhere between 29-31mph.

I feel like I'm standing on that front foot. Maybe move the bindings up 1/2" or so?
Old 08-21-2013, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
No PP on my boat yet, somewhere between 29-31mph.

I feel like I'm standing on that front foot. Maybe move the bindings up 1/2" or so?
Watch the Gordon Rathbun drills on you tube. - it changed my skiing and so did talkin' with Tex...rat...

The water should be breakin' under your front binding so you can use the whole ski... you'll know when this happens the turns feel completely different.... and the acceleration is stronger...
Old 08-22-2013, 08:23 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
I'm no pro but you need to stop pulling in on the rope. Focus on keeping your arms straight through the wakes, pulling in on the rope is causing you to lose your leverage position and speed as you cross the wakes. I think this is also causing the wobbles out near the buoy line.

you should be hanging your entire body off the handle as you are crossing the wake with your elbows pinned against your chest. Something that has been helping me get into a more stacked position on my offside is thinking about pointing my sternum at the tree tops while keeping a balanced stance on the ski.
Old 08-22-2013, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
I'm no pro but you need to stop pulling in on the rope. Focus on keeping your arms straight through the wakes, pulling in on the rope is causing you to lose your leverage position and speed as you cross the wakes. I think this is also causing the wobbles out near the buoy line.

you should be hanging your entire body off the handle as you are crossing the wake with your elbows pinned against your chest. Something that has been helping me get into a more stacked position on my offside is thinking about pointing my sternum at the tree tops while keeping a balanced stance on the ski.
awesome advice..
Old 08-22-2013, 03:02 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
You are still definitely riding the tail, but not from leaning back too far. What you are doing is squatting on your back leg, and breaking at the waist, which makes you feel like you over your front foot, but most of the pressure/weight is on the back leg. You really need to get your shoulders back behind your hips while remaining centered over your ski. Look at the pic below of Seth Stisher (great coach BTW). He is in a great stacked position. This is what we all should strive for. Practice this by leaning away from the boat on one side (think of pulling out to the left to set up for your gate, but remain leaning) and hold this stacked position for as long as you can, then switch sides. concentrate on keeping your shoulders back, hips up and elbows tucked into the vest.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2013, 03:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 x7
I don't think your to far from running the course. Definitely stay with the one ball starts until you run the whole pass, adding the gate back in after that is easy. What everyone said about arms and back foot is very true but I would start were you look. It looks like you are looking right at the next buoy, so you ski right to it, and start your turn at the buoy, you should be finishing your turn there. Look 20 feet or so in front of the buoy your going to, start your turn at that imaginary buoy and finish your turn at the real buoy. I would suggest 1 ball starts spray the inside of 2,3,4,5 go around six, working at getting early to the buoy first then wide second. Then start going around some of the other buoys until you can go around the all of them