Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
1989 - might be time for a new set... I inspect my 1995 risers and and manifolds every season.

8 bucks for gaskets... cheap... and a reason to go do something on boat.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190
Just placed an order at skidim.com for two riser gaskets (I live in SC so 1 day shipping!!!). Also just spoke with a marine mechanic who works on my buddies Nautique. He pretty much confirmed its the manifolds or the riser gaskets. He stated that there is no way that amount of water could enter the cylinders from the heads after a few rotations to lock the engine. Ill take pictures and post.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:35 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
If you had water in every single cylinder (and a lot of it) then my bet would be exhaust manifolds as well. If you had noticed water dripping out of the ports when you removed them to pull the heads, that would have been a big clue. Failed riser gaskets can do the same thing, but usually wont allow gross amounts of water in very quickly (thus hydrolocking the motor).

I would pull the exhaust manifolds and pressure test them. Both would have to be junk for you to get water in both banks- but Ive seen it happen due to an overheat. I have seen intake manifolds crack from the same overheat, and that will exacerbate the water in the oil symptom. It sounds like the boat sustained some damage prior to you getting it... I'd consider pulling the intake and looking for evidence of water intrusion in the valley while you have it apart.

How long has it been since the water showed up? If its been more than a few days, theres a chance your fresh heads may be all rusted up in the area of the exhaust valve seats. Dry it out ASAP and compression test.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:13 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post
If you had water in every single cylinder (and a lot of it) then my bet would be exhaust manifolds as well. If you had noticed water dripping out of the ports when you removed them to pull the heads, that would have been a big clue. Failed riser gaskets can do the same thing, but usually wont allow gross amounts of water in very quickly (thus hydrolocking the motor).

I would pull the exhaust manifolds and pressure test them. Both would have to be junk for you to get water in both banks- but Ive seen it happen due to an overheat. I have seen intake manifolds crack from the same overheat, and that will exacerbate the water in the oil symptom. It sounds like the boat sustained some damage prior to you getting it... I'd consider pulling the intake and looking for evidence of water intrusion in the valley while you have it apart.

How long has it been since the water showed up? If its been more than a few days, theres a chance your fresh heads may be all rusted up in the area of the exhaust valve seats. Dry it out ASAP and compression test.
The boat ran great two weekends ago, until the starter failed. I tried starting it last Friday and that's when the water showed up. I coated each cylinder with a layer of engine oil after I blew the water out with an air hose real good.

I think I will pull the risers tonight get the manifolds pressure tested, and check the torque of all the heads and intake. When I had the intake off last it was in great condition, but of course I didn't have it test or anything.

Has anyone purchased the 159.00 manifolds on ebay? They say they are made in the good old US of A. I wonder if they are any good.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:36 PM
TT Regular

Ok here is the sad condition of the riser gaskets. I can see no visible cracks in the manifold. I'm really think this is my problem. Both sides are in this condition.
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  93.7 KB
Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 AM
TT Regular

Ok got new riser gaskets in, changed the oil, so I will be testing the engin today. I replace the bolts on the risers with grade 8 bolts, I know these are not stainless will they rust?
Old 08-25-2013, 07:00 AM

Boat: 06 X30
Wrong head gaskets? Wrong torque? Wrong sequence?
Old 08-25-2013, 08:13 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenwood87 View Post
Ok got new riser gaskets in, changed the oil, so I will be testing the engin today. I replace the bolts on the risers with grade 8 bolts, I know these are not stainless will they rust?
Those will be fine. I'd like to think you placed an anti-seize compound on all of your threaded and clamped connections.... Regardless, those Gr8 will be fine.

I am hard pressed to think a riser gasket could solve or could have created the problem. However if it does fix the problem, good for you. Those gaskets don't look bad. I have seen worse, by far. What stinks are the paper gaskets that have become available. Used to, one could find some much sturdier gaskets made from a graphite material.

If not, I'd go back and do a mag-particle test on the exhaust manifold. A visual inspection for cracks can often be insufficient. A MT is very simple to do if you look for someone that has the test equipment. Most engine shops or machine shops should have the equipment. Easy and inexpensive. However, your area for testing will be limited without pulling the manifolds. A small crack that takes a MT for inspection should not be big enough to allow the type of water intrusion that you have described.

$0.02

Hose picture (internal) http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...68&postcount=8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrall View Post
..Some of you give a whole new meaning to the phrase "another @sshole with a Mastercraft."

RE: Thrall, Welcome to the club....
NEW SKINS in TN... Leading Edge Marine Interior

feedback on a TN company: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=58767

Last edited by Cloaked; 08-25-2013 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:23 PM
TT Regular

Well one of the gaskets was missing a complete piece between the water jacket and exhaust side of the manifold. So there was a direct path for water to flow into the exhaust side of the manifolds. I did a compression test on all cylinders between 120 and 135 on all cylinders. I haven't had the chance to test after I assembled the riser gaskets (I was completely tired of the dang thing and went out on by buddies sail boat). I'm going to test this Friday.
Old 08-27-2013, 03:46 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Sail boat? How do you ski with a sailboat, let alone sit in the garage with a beer busting your knuckles and cursing? We don't need no stinking sail boat.

Kidding, sailing's great when it's to windy to find good water.
Hobie 16's rule!

Tags
engine, head gasket, windsor