Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
If I had water in all 8 cylinders, I think I would be looking at something that could get water to both heads - like the intake manifold. I would be surprised if both of your head gaskets went at the same time. You might have exhaust manifolds that had frozen and cracked internally, but I think it would have shown up before 10 hours.

I don't think enough water could get past the raw water cooler to blow gaskets in an engine when there is a hose to each exhaust manifold that can handle that much water.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:17 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1989 Mastercraft Tri Star 190
Well for tonight I'm going to sit back and drink a strong drink. I talked to a buddy at a local speed shop (Hawks Third Generation) he said that ARP head bolt torque specs are different from what the 351w marine manual states. He told me to torque the bolts again after a call to ARP for the proper specs.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:27 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 Ski Nautique
Oh for goodness sake... bad information alert!

There is absolutely no way for water to be "forced" into the cylinders by turning the water on prior to starting the engine. I would love to know the supposed path the water would take to do that. Sheesh.

It sounds like the you did not address the real cause of the water intrusion when you took it apart. How did you determine it was a bad head gasket? When you took everything apart, did you notice evidence of water in the runners of the exhaust manifolds or in the valley below the intake? If youre lucky, the water intrusion is from a cracked intake or exhaust manifold (or both). If youre unlucky, you have a cracked block. I am assuming that your freshened heads were magnafluxed and can be ruled out as the source. Im also assuming that you didnt overheat the boat in the short amount of time you had it running.

To figure out which it is, do a compression test on all cylinders. That will tell you if your block is cracked in the area of your cylinders. If theyre all within 10%, then its likely an intake or exhaust manifold issue. Which cylinders have water in them? All of them? Just one bank?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post

There is absolutely no way for water to be "forced" into the cylinders by turning the water on prior to starting the engine. I would love to know the supposed path the water would take to do that. Sheesh.

It sounds like the you did not address the real cause of the water intrusion when you took it apart. How did you determine it was a bad head gasket? When you took everything apart, did you notice evidence of water in the runners of the exhaust manifolds or in the valley below the intake? If youre lucky, the water intrusion is from a cracked intake or exhaust manifold (or both). If youre unlucky, you have a cracked block. I am assuming that your freshened heads were magnafluxed and can be ruled out as the source. Im also assuming that you didnt overheat the boat in the short amount of time you had it running.

To figure out which it is, do a compression test on all cylinders. That will tell you if your block is cracked in the area of your cylinders. If theyre all within 10%, then its likely an intake or exhaust manifold issue. Which cylinders have water in them? All of them? Just one bank?
Yes, if he didn't tighten down the heads correctly, it can get thru the head gasket. I've done it.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:16 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscraftmatt1976 View Post
Yes, if he didn't tighten down the heads correctly, it can get thru the head gasket. I've done it.
The heads were tighten down to the Haynes Manual torque specs (90-100-112 lbs) and in the proper sequence. I cleaned each head bolt hole and applied the supplied lubricant from ARP.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:21 AM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBenj View Post

All the cylinders in both banks had a little to a lot of water in them. I'm going to complete a compression test on all cylinders after work.

You are correct, the boat has not overheated and the heads were magnafluxed.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:39 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: X-35 2010. LY6
Hi,

Please check exhaust manifolds, I have a same problem with 6.0 LY6 Indmar engine in my X35!

First I change several starters before I found broken exhaust manifold! When you swich off the engine, Water flow from manifold thry exhaust valve in to cylinder and cose hydro stroke!

This summer I had a same problem with other manifold, this time it cose total damage to engine, boat is now at my dealer, they try to get a new engine from Indmar!

Hope this would help,

Mladen
Old 08-20-2013, 01:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1979 Stars n Stripes
Did you install new gaskets on the risers ? It is very important to make sure both mating surfaces are clean and flat . No way the water entered the cylinders thru a head gasket at 30 psi hose pressure. Pull the risers is my input
Old 08-20-2013, 01:13 PM
TT Regular

I'm going to also pressure test the manifolds. I should be able to achieve this by unbolting one and pumping water into it and watching for water in the exhaust ports. On a note the manifolds were quite rusty on the inside when I had them off. Can a machine shop repair cracked manifolds, or do I have to pony up and by new ones?
Old 08-20-2013, 01:15 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnye23 View Post
Did you install new gaskets on the risers ? It is very important to make sure both mating surfaces are clean and flat . No way the water entered the cylinders thru a head gasket at 30 psi hose pressure. Pull the risers is my input
I did absolute nothing to the manifolds or risers. I believe they are stock.

Tags
engine, head gasket, windsor