Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
LT1 Motor info >??? NEED HELP

Hi i know this should be in the engine thread but need info asap form anyone... People are saying yes you can just swap a LT1 motor in for the old one but then i Talk to shops and they are saying was the OLD motor Marinised ???? So her is my Dilemma I dont have the old BLOCK or heads But I have everything else .. Was going to buy a NEW long block and put it in.. But some people are saying the marinised engines have different. stuff in the heads, cams and some other things from a regular lt1 . ?? Is this true i dont want to spend 3k on a new long block put it in and it not work!!!! WHAT IS MY BEST BET I WANT THIS BOAT UP AND RUNNING
Old 08-20-2013, 09:20 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrjtt View Post
Hi i know this should be in the engine thread but need info asap form anyone... People are saying yes you can just swap a LT1 motor in for the old one but then i Talk to shops and they are saying was the OLD motor Marinised ???? So her is my Dilemma I dont have the old BLOCK or heads But I have everything else .. Was going to buy a NEW long block and put it in.. But some people are saying the marinised engines have different. stuff in the heads, cams and some other things from a regular lt1 . ?? Is this true i dont want to spend 3k on a new long block put it in and it not work!!!! WHAT IS MY BEST BET I WANT THIS BOAT UP AND RUNNING
There's not much inside of a marinized engine that's different from one that was in a car, aside from the gaskets (sometimes), water circulating pump seals and the accessories.

Ask them for specifics- cams, valves, pistons, heads and most of it is just what came off of the assembly line at GM. The calibration from MC is specific to each model, so an engine from a Prostar won't transfer to a Maristar (or, vise versa) without needing to be reprogrammed.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:30 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: changes every month
So how do i know what was in my engine with out having it .. it was just out of a 1993 Prostar 190.. so should i just be asking for a long block for an LT1 with aluminum heads ? This is what I have been doing. Found a local place that has one just I guess need to know what exact I should be asking besides for a LT1 with aluminum heads ?
Old 08-20-2013, 09:41 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1981 MasterCraft 351W slot
All LT1 have aluminum heads except for the b model cars, you know a caprice or impala ss, there are two blocks available a two bolt which is most common or the 4 bolt from the corvette or lt4 engine the two bolt will support 650hp easily I know first hand :-). Good luck