Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2007 X14
My new baby is screaming at me (check engine light)

I was hoping my first post would be more upbeat but alas the gods are against me. I just brought home a new to me 2007 X14 with less than 100 hours on her. Pristine shape and lovely. She checked out fine at the previous owner's and I'll admit I am new to this kind of boat (previous was a Glastron GT back in the late 60s/early 70s' with a 125 Merc outboard), so there was a lot for me to absorb as we were going over the boat.

I had a 650 mile roadtrip back home with her and close to home we blew a tire (Goodyear Maraton's suck, it was a brand new tire!) and I read somewhere that blown tires can sometimes lead to thrown engine codes. Anyway we put her in the water and she started right up but an alarm came on and the check engine signal flashed on the output. I looked everything over and all seems to be well. I shut her down, waited a few minutes and tried two more times all with the same effect.

So we put her back on the trailer and brought her home. I was going to take her to the local Mastercraft dealer for a full checkout but I **REALLY** wanted at least one ride and a quick pull behind her before taking her in.

So my question is, what could be throwing the code that I could look out for? I have heard about the tire issue and I heard that disconnecting the battery for a few hours can reset that code (not sure if true or not). I checked the oil and it needs more added because the oil was changed right before I picked her up and so it needs topping off. The oil level is right at the bottom of the range where it should be and it is right at the top of the word "add" on the dipstick. Can it be that sensitive to oil level? Oil pressure was good as was temp when I was running it. Is there a valve to the cooling that needs to be opened? I see next to the boat drain a connection that seems to have a valve on it and it looks to be closed. As I said there was so much to absorb while doing the checkout I may have missed some (or a lot) of what the previous owner said.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I fail to see how a blown tire would result in a code. It doesn't make any sense to me.

What was the engine temp, should be 160? What was the oil pressure, over 25 lbs at idle? What is the battery voltage, should be over 10.5?

You'll need a rather expensive system/tool to pull codes from a MEFI 5 ECM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

I was at our local water ski kids show practice last night and two separate boaterheads there said bad road vibration can cause troubles. Not sure if they were blowing smoke or not, but then again one of them is a Malibu owner (is it too early for me to slam Malibus? )

Charge was good at 13 V, oil pressure was middle of the dial, and engine temp was ok but I did not leave it on long enough for it to get too hot. With the alarm and the screen saying check engine I did not want to leave it running and take a chance. We kept it running for no more than 2 minutes, so if the cooling was blocked it was probably not running long enough to let the temp get too high. Also the alarm and code came on right away, there was no delay so that makes me think it was not oil or coolant related but something else.

My friend has very sophisticated software package on his computer for pulling codes (auto Enginuity) so he might be able to pull the codes for me. He is out of town and he often needs an engine specific update for things like this so it could take a while for him to help me out. He is also building his dream house so he is a bit preoccupied at the current time.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:44 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2008 197
Having the same issue with my 08 197 with the MCX. Your friends auto software will most likely not help with this issue as you need the MEFI ECM plug and software to pull the codes on these boats. I'm going to use my local MC dealer to pull the code for me soon.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ORidr View Post
I was at our local water ski kids show practice last night and two separate boaterheads there said bad road vibration can cause troubles. Not sure if they were blowing smoke or not, but then again one of them is a Malibu owner (is it too early for me to slam Malibus? )

Charge was good at 13 V, oil pressure was middle of the dial, and engine temp was ok but I did not leave it on long enough for it to get too hot. With the alarm and the screen saying check engine I did not want to leave it running and take a chance. We kept it running for no more than 2 minutes, so if the cooling was blocked it was probably not running long enough to let the temp get too high. Also the alarm and code came on right away, there was no delay so that makes me think it was not oil or coolant related but something else.

My friend has very sophisticated software package on his computer for pulling codes (auto Enginuity) so he might be able to pull the codes for me. He is out of town and he often needs an engine specific update for things like this so it could take a while for him to help me out. He is also building his dream house so he is a bit preoccupied at the current time.
Do not allow him to attempt to hook this upto your boat. Your boat has a MEFI 5 ECM and will require a CAN connector and either computer software or a diag tool from Rinda Tech.

http://www.rinda.com/marine/marinemenu.htm

Prices range from $400 to $700 for the system plus the $249 for the CAN adapter.

You should be able to silence the alarm by pressing one of the buttons you your display. I think it might be arrow up.

I would check for clean and tight ground cables at both the battery and the engine block.

I'm not sure but 07s may also have a low transmission oil level sensor.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:52 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
I would check for clean and tight ground cables at both the battery and the engine block.
The battery had run down because the boat had sat in the previous owner's heated garage for about 8-9 months. He had never put it in the water this year so the connections could be gunked up. I'll give that a try.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:00 AM

Quote:
The battery had run down because the boat had sat in the previous owner's heated garage for about 8-9 months. He had never put it in the water this year so the connections could be gunked up. I'll give that a try.
Did you charge the battery up and check the non running volts in the battery before you took it out?

You may have seen 13v on the gauge after you started the boat, but that does not mean there was 13v stored in the battery when you started it. If the battery gets below 10.5 volts, IIRC, it will cause the ECM to set a low voltage code and trigger the alarm.

I would check the battery with a multimeter, clean and charge the battery and then test it again.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Did you charge the battery up and check the non running volts in the battery before you took it out?

You may have seen 13v on the gauge after you started the boat, but that does not mean there was 13v stored in the battery when you started it. If the battery gets below 10.5 volts, IIRC, it will cause the ECM to set a low voltage code and trigger the alarm.

I would check the battery with a multimeter, clean and charge the battery and then test it again.
The battery is less than 2 years old according to the new owner but it had run down while sitting and he had charged it up to about 60% (he said) when I did the checkout. It started just fine then. When I got it home I put it on a charger and gave it a full slow charge for 3 or so hours. So it is sounding like the battery and its going down or dead may be the culprit.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:51 AM
TT Enthusiast

We went on vacation so the boat was going to sit for a week. So I dropped it off at the local MC dealer for a thorough going over. Turns out a knock sensor was unplugged. They took care of a few service bulletin items and gave it a clean bill of health. We took it out last night and all is well.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:54 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
We went on vacation so the boat was going to sit for a week. So I dropped it off at the local MC dealer for a thorough going over. Turns out a knock sensor was unplugged. They took care of a few service bulletin items and gave it a clean bill of health. We took it out last night and all is well.
Awesome - good news...