Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 08:55 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: PS 197
Never beach. Fill up your wet underpants with beach sand and go for a jog for 10 mins. the underside of your hull will not feel it like you will but the effect will be the same..
Old 08-19-2013, 09:01 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Oh my! you call it abuse, I call it everyone gets out without having to swim

Old 08-19-2013, 09:15 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X30 6.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffeyman76 View Post
I always keep mine bow in still. Get it close to beaching then drop the box anchor (awesome awesome awesome anchor) off the rear, let it stretch and catch then drive the slide anchor into the beach. Take a few seconds and get the bow and stern lines tight and she doesn't move even with the rollers.

This allows me to be off the sand (no scratches) but have the bow ladder (yay pickle fork) dropped down and touching the ground or very close and still have the swim platform in deep enough water to jump in/hang out/use and not worry about the prop/shaft dragging. Its a pain to wade in 5 feet every time I want to get into the boat when it is reversed in, plus my islands/beaches can get crowded and getting backed in/turned around can be a pain too. The several times I backed in I ended up with the prop in the sand having to push off/empty ballast to get off the back. Just seems like more trouble to me.

Secured properly it doesn't move even with idiots throwing big breakers on the beach trying to look cool cruising close by. If it starts to rub I few adjustments of the rope and it is fully off the beach again.

Example pic attached. Probably 5' deep off the stern and a solid 12 to 18 inches under the bow but the ladder is on the sand.
That is exactly how I do it. Can pull it in close enough to load all the beach crap without wading through water.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

I cringe every time I see someone beach their boat. just don't understand it.

I paid too much for mine to abuse it like that.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:08 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
Oh my! you call it abuse, I call it everyone gets out without having to swim
I have an anchor buddy, no one swims and I don't beach it.

So I mentioned earlier my old boat was wearing through the hull from doing this.
You could put a keel guard on to prevent this.

I didn't know any better, got it when I was 20 years old and didnt care. It had tracking fins, those never got damaged.

What did happen is big rollers would come along and slam my rudder aground. One year my steering was hard. On inspection I found the brass bearing housing that supports the rudder had broken from the abuse. It was cracked and I wouldn't have noticed but when I hit the zerk with a grease gun it forced water out of the crack all the way around it.

In fact that's how all of the people at my beach got anchor buddies that were beaching, a roller would come along and I would point out the rudder absorbing the impact and explain what repair they could expect from it. This was also not the same beach that damaged mine, so it's not isolated to one particular beach.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:33 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 1988 Prostar 190
RE: concern about rudder damage when anchoring stern in. I use an anchor buddy but set it up so my boat sits about 20 feet off shore. There's more than enough stretch in the anchor buddy to pull it in to board, and with the slope of the lake bottom, I still have about a foot or so under the rudder. I haven't had any problems with rollers and the boat moving, but where we anchor at night, we're in a reasonably quiet part of the lake.
G
Old 08-20-2013, 01:48 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
Maybe I should have been more clear, all the damage to my hull and rudder was from beaching.

I have experienced no damage from using my anchor buddy.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: '06 X2 MCX
I'd like to kick the guy's @ss that beached my boat repeatedly. I wouldn't freak over beaching a white boat as much provided it was soft sand but not a dark color.
Can't see it when it's in the water but looks scuffed up when it's sitting on the trailer.

"I understand why some people may not want to do this the way I have recommended but I can't understand the death grip some people have on a toilet plunger with a hose fitting." -JimN
Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 AM

Boat: 06 X30
I use the longer boat buddy and a 25 foot rope while at the islands and at a lake house we use. Pull the boat in, everyone gets on and the boat buddy pulls it back out.
Attached Images

Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtwentyNot View Post
I have an anchor buddy, no one swims and I don't beach it.

So I mentioned earlier my old boat was wearing through the hull from doing this.
You could put a keel guard on to prevent this.

I didn't know any better, got it when I was 20 years old and didnt care. It had tracking fins, those never got damaged.

What did happen is big rollers would come along and slam my rudder aground. One year my steering was hard. On inspection I found the brass bearing housing that supports the rudder had broken from the abuse. It was cracked and I wouldn't have noticed but when I hit the zerk with a grease gun it forced water out of the crack all the way around it.

In fact that's how all of the people at my beach got anchor buddies that were beaching, a roller would come along and I would point out the rudder absorbing the impact and explain what repair they could expect from it. This was also not the same beach that damaged mine, so it's not isolated to one particular beach.
The rollers you see coming in on the pic are as big as they get, this is a no wake area so the boat doesn't get bounced around. On the other hand I wouldn't beach at a spot where the wakes are slamming against the shore.