Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-19-2013, 09:09 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2014 X30 with a lightly tickled LS7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Hey JM. I hear what you are saying. But I have to disagree. An analog gauge is not the same as a digital gauge just because it uses the same road to transmit information. I'm not saying you said that, but the OP asked what is your preference. Analog or digital? Which are two completely different systems. Digital and touchscreen systems & gauges have software information that analog does not.

ANALOG GAUGE - A display device utilizing a varying current to cause a mechanical change in the position of its needle.

The only thing I don't agree with is not calling these type gauges "real" analog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
You are on the right track..... All of the gauges were still analog except the tachometer (which has never been an analog signal)..... Fuel level, engine temp, ballast levels, oil pressure, etc., were all still analog until the last few years.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:20 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
More electronics = more problems in the harsh marine environment.

I like my simple carbs and wires. A newer MPI engine would be nice but like others have stated, the more integrated things become; there is a trade off between short term convenience and long term reliability.

MasterCraft or any mfg has in interest in planned obsolescence so long as it does not significantly affect their long term brand.
Given their custom specs with low volume production relative to the auto industry, I have a hard time trusting the current touch screens will be available 15 years from now.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:31 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Hey JM. I hear what you are saying. But I have to disagree. An analog gauge is not the same as a digital gauge just because it uses the same road to transmit information. I'm not saying you said that, but the OP asked what is your preference. Analog or digital? Which are two completely different systems. Digital and touchscreen systems & gauges have software information that analog does not.

ANALOG GAUGE - A display device utilizing a varying current to cause a mechanical change in the position of its needle.

The only thing I don't agree with is not calling these type gauges "real" analog.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Right, I guess what I was trying to say is if you didn't want any digital influence on the operation of your watercraft then it's necessary to go back to before the use of EFI and ECM's, the early 90's. Since EFI most gauges have been controlled by a Multiple Module Data Computer -MMDC- which takes a digital ECM signal and converts it to an analog signal for display on the typical analog gauge. I wonder how many MMDC and analog gauges in mastercraft boats have failed over the years...

My preference is for analog gauges for the sportier look versus looking at a screen, not from a reliability standpoint.

1989 MasterCraft TriStar 190 SE

Last edited by j.mccreight@hotmail.com; 08-19-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old 08-19-2013, 11:14 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2009 X-Star LY6
Interesting thread... All the newer technology (talking about my experiences with a 2012) scare me. I had nothing but problems with the BIG and the tower - enough problems that I decided to downgrade to a 2009. After I had the VDIG replaced (at the start of the season) the boat has been completely trouble free.

The only thing I use the VDIG for is the Perfect Pass, depth and water temp. Everything else I rely on the gauges.

Owned:
2012 X25
2011 X25
2009 Moomba LSV
2009 Moomba Outback V
2008 Monterey FS180
Pelican 4 set paddle boat
plastic tug boat when I was 4
Old 08-19-2013, 11:37 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
I have a question, what analog gauges are you guys spending all this time looking at anyways?

The only gauges I look at on a boat while actually using it are the speed (PP), temp, wake plate level and the depth gauges which are all digital on most any boat I have used, whether through a large touchscreen or small LCD display. I guess you can spend time looking at the Tach for whatever reason, but other than that I honestly never look at the analog gages. No sense in looking at a Speedo where you can only tell the speed within 1MPH when there is a digital display 6" away of your speed down to the a tenth of a MPH and easier to read.
Old 08-19-2013, 05:30 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Matercraft Prostar205v
So what happens when the touchscreen/computer freezes up? Is the boat operable and if so how much? Can u dump ballast if needed, raise or lower the tower? Does it shut the boat down or just the accessories? What I'm also getting at is with all this technology there is quite a bit of room for a busted vacation with no override. A member was unable to override the system to raise his tower while on vacation. If I remember right they had to spend the entire time with the tower in the down position. I believe it was the actuator but it was controlled by the computer and could not override.

So with the computer and analog gauges and override system the boat would still be fully operable. if the computer took a dump then the vacation and or weekend would not be a complete bust.

I have learned one thing here on the forums and find it to be the most important. And I will keep this analog no matter what, and this would be the engine temp gauge. My eyes are on this gauge constantly. If I did not have this, the boat would not go out. that's just me.
Old 08-19-2013, 10:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2013 X-30, 6.0L, 2500lbs of Ballast, 650lbs of Lead.
Interesting. I never look at the temperature gauge on my boat. In 10 years of boating and a 1000 hours of time on engines I have never had one overheat. It's just something I don't worry about.

I can see your point about the tower, but I have the ZFT4 and it's flawless. The ballast, all lights, and heaters are all controlled from manual buttons.