Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Engine / Drive Train

Old 08-19-2013, 07:19 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
So Here's My Problem

My boat fires right up, idles fine but when I put it in gear it has a rough idle in the no wake zone then when I'm pulling someone it bogs at take off then catches up and runs fine. I took it to my local dealer (Action Water Sports) and they can't find the problem after checking the fuel pump, fuel pressure, filter, plugs and wires, timing and efi. They now want $218 to lake test it to see if they can find the issue, before I fork that out and this becomes me throwing money at what it might be, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has some advise?? I can't believe they can't find the prob, boats been there for 2 weeks.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Quote:
Originally Posted by coz View Post
My boat fires right up, idles fine but when I put it in gear it has a rough idle in the no wake zone then when I'm pulling someone it bogs at take off then catches up and runs fine. I took it to my local dealer (Action Water Sports) and they can't find the problem after checking the fuel pump, fuel pressure, filter, plugs and wires, timing and efi. They now want $218 to lake test it to see if they can find the issue, before I fork that out and this becomes me throwing money at what it might be, I thought I'd check here and see if anyone has some advise?? I can't believe they can't find the prob, boats been there for 2 weeks.
Charge for a lake test?? Whats up with that? My dealer met me at the lake they use with his laptop to help diagnose my problem and I was not charged. We were a few weeks into to trying to figure it out, and had one service not fix it, but not sure that would have made a difference.

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-19-2013, 07:32 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Check fuel pump screen... 98 still has 2-stage fuel pump I believe.... Action sports is a good dealer. JimN will be here soon to provide some good insight...

What's missing from your list is ignition module..... does the lake test include running with a laptop connected to ECM?

Rough Idle - IAC - Idle Air Control?

Water in gas? is another thought... throw some HEET in and some SeaFoam...

mike
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1998 ProStar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Check fuel pump screen... 98 still has 2-stage fuel pump I believe.... Action sports is a good dealer. JimN will be here soon to provide some good insight...

What's missing from your list is ignition module..... does the lake test include running with a laptop connected to ECM?

Rough Idle - IAC - Idle Air Control?

Water in gas? is another thought... throw some HEET in and some SeaFoam...

mike
I had an IAC problem a while back (got a new one from NAPA) and that's not it, it won't idle if the IAC is bad and it idles fine, just when cruising slow or quick take off is when it happens. Thanks Mike, they didn't check ignition mod though.