Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Trailers

Old 08-18-2013, 11:39 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Brakes engage when pushing boat in and out of garage

So, I'm hoping there is an easy fix/solution to this issue. My trailer seems to work great when I'm towing, both forward and backward. I don't feel the brakes engaging when I don't want them to and can back up without an issue. I do feel them when I'm towing down a hill, as I would expect.

However, over the past month, the brakes have been on whenever I have the boat unhooked and am pushing it into or out of the garage. (With my garage, the only way the collapsed tower will fit under the door is if I push it in with the tongue all the way down after unhooking.) In the past, I could back the boat into the garage until the tower was about to hit the frame of the garage, then get out, block the wheels, unhook the boat, lower the tongue all the way and push the boat the rest of the way in.

It is a bit of a hassle, to be sure, but boat slips are very spendy here and my neighborhood doesn't allow boats or RV's to be stored in the driveway or street. In the past, though, the boat has been easy enough to roll in and out of the driveway.

However, the boat barely moves now and I can hear humming/rubbing from both sides of the trailer. It takes two people and lots of grunting to get the boat in and out of the garage.

I've hooked up the boat to the tow vehicle and had my wife drive slowly to make sure the brakes aren't engaged when towing - - - they don't seem to be. Plus, I don't feel them surging or engaging and there is no smell or abnormal heat when I've been towing. I think this is only when the tongue is down.

Again, this didn't happen for a long time - - - it has only started as of a month ago.

Are there any easy fixes?

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:11 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2009 X2, MCX
Sounds like the coupler is still pushed in, after you backed up the trailer. Have you tried pulling the coupler back out after you unhook the trailer. That should disengage pressure on the brakes.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk
Old 08-19-2013, 01:38 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2004 Mastercraft X-10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
Sounds like the coupler is still pushed in, after you backed up the trailer. Have you tried pulling the coupler back out after you unhook the trailer. That should disengage pressure on the brakes.
I haven't done anything except take the trailer tongue off the ball, fold the tongue back, then lower the tongue all the way down before pushing the trailer back in.

How do I go about "pulling the coupler back out?"

Sorry if this is a silly question . . .

186,000 miles per second - - - not just a good idea, it's the law.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:59 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2003 X2
I chock the boat wheels and let the truck idle forward to get the coupler back out.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:00 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1995 Barefoot 200 Yamaha ProV 200, 1994 ProStar 190 LT1 1:1
If you have the trailer tongue like we have, the actuator slides back into the main part of the trailer causing the brakes to activate.

There is a pin type insert that must be put into a slot on the tongue to prevent the brakes from engaging.

Here is an example of what it would look like pushed all the way in:
Attached Images

Old 08-19-2013, 02:21 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
It looks like this:
Old 08-19-2013, 02:36 PM
MC Devotee

My 2003 trailer does not require a pin like that. There is a 5th wire on the harness that locks out the brakes in reverse. The actuator still slides back, but the brakes do not engage.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:02 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: '96 ProStar 205, Sammy Duvall, LT-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW160 View Post
My 2003 trailer does not require a pin like that. There is a 5th wire on the harness that locks out the brakes in reverse. The actuator still slides back, but the brakes do not engage.
I believe the OP is talking about when the trailer is unhooked from the tow vehicle.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:07 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Also run into this problem and handle it how JRW160 does; idle the truck forward or "bump" it quickly and it seems to disengage.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:10 PM
MC Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Rocker View Post
I believe the OP is talking about when the trailer is unhooked from the tow vehicle.
Right, I am assuming he does not push it using the coupler.