Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Wakeboarding & Wakeskating

Old 08-16-2013, 08:23 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: Ski Brendella, Super Comp, 1991, 351 Windsor
Newb Getting up on wake skate

Need some help on getting up on a wake skate. I have always slalom skied and have absolutely zero knowledge of wake skating. My boat came with a cheep wake skate and rope for it.

I tried to get up by starting by laying on it and trying to get enough speed to stand up while holding the rope. Had no good results and gave up.

I would like to learn to use this to give me something other than slalom skiing on my boat. Looking for tips and hints on how to get up.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:28 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Put your feet on the board with the board perpendicular to your legs (like you would ride a skateboard) idle the boat to keep tension and the board will hold its self, top of the board slightly out of the water, accelerate and it'll pull you up just keep the back of the board down and ride away.

Much like getting up on a wakeboard for me. Just no boots. If you can't figure it out just learn how to get up on a wakeboard and transfer to a skate is how we did
Old 08-16-2013, 08:44 PM
chriscraftmatt1976

Check out YouTube, there's lots of helpful vids. U wearing shoes? Dumb question, but some people I've seen didn't know to.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:56 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2010 X-15 w/MCX
Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GzSvSOwxU starting at 1:50 they show getting up. Also read http://www.alliancewake.com/skate/how-to-get-up/. Lots of info and videos to be found using google. There appears to be two methods: 1) where board is on top of water, 2) where board starts under water (just after the boat starts going). My son got up on about his 4th try the beginning of this season. He had been wakeboarding for the past three years. Funny, he has not ridden that wake skate since. Good thing it only cost him $40. Good luck.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:28 AM
chriscraftmatt1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneBoatN View Post
Look at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=42GzSvSOwxU starting at 1:50 they show getting up. Also read http://www.alliancewake.com/skate/how-to-get-up/. Lots of info and videos to be found using google. There appears to be two methods: 1) where board is on top of water, 2) where board starts under water (just after the boat starts going). My son got up on about his 4th try the beginning of this season. He had been wakeboarding for the past three years. Funny, he has not ridden that wake skate since. Good thing it only cost him $40. Good luck.
Wake skating is definitely more difficult than wakeboarding. It chases most people off, or they ride one as a goof, like some surfers. To get to where you can do some cool stuff on one takes a lot of practice. A w2w on a wb is hugely simple compared to a w2w on a skate.
Old 01-03-2014, 01:11 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2000 X-5
When I got my first wake skate I tried to get up same as a wakeboard (above water), but failed miserably. In the water for 10-15 min until my arms were toast. Next try was submarining the board slight tip up, slight point to the boat, got up in a jiffy, and that's how I've had to do it ever since. There's just not enough surface area to pull me up the other way.