Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Appearance

Old 08-15-2013, 05:39 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
10 days in the lake took its toll

Spent 10 days up on lake Shasta and the boat isn't looking so hot anymore. Although boat has always been clean with no water spots and wiped down/waxed each single day trip, the extended time in the water left water spots everywhere. Tried some water spot remover and it didn't do anything. Haven't done the 20% vinegar method but looks like they are etched into the gel. If so, what should I use as a good cutting compound that will remove the spots but no too much of the gel?

Thanks
Ross
Old 08-15-2013, 05:42 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: '07 ProStar 197 w/ MCX
Just go half vinegar half distilled water. You will not need to compound the boat. If the 50/50 mix does not work, go with straight vinegar. Either way, wax when you are done as the vinegar removes any wax you have.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:55 PM
TT Regular

Boat: MasterCraft, X-Star, 2007,
The lake I go to is a rec. lake and shallow. Deepest part during the summer is about 7ft. Half of the lake is about 3.5 to 4ft from the bottom of my boat. Needless to say this makes for some very cloudy/muddy water, there is no way to get out of there without crazy dirty water spots. I have found that the Mariners Quick Clean works the best at taking the spots off. I keep it in the boat so even when we spend the day on the lake and take a break I use it on all the top surfaces. Very quick and easy. Keeps the spots off. When we get the boat home the next day I use the Mariners Quick wax. Again very quick and easy.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 prostar 205V
Did the 100% vinegar test and not much improvement guess I'll need to consider some polishing or rubbing compound...
Old 08-15-2013, 07:53 PM
MC Platinum

Boat: 1993 MASTERCRAFT PROSTAR 190 285HP 351 INDMAR
If vinegar at 100% doesn't work it's hard to believe it is water spots. Try a little acetone on a few spots. water deposits do not etch as far as I know. 100% white vinegar but like I said try the acetone on a small area and wax after.

!UOY NAHT RETSAF MA I TUB KNURD EB YAM I
Old 08-17-2013, 02:05 AM
TT Regular

Boat: Tigé, 2150, 1997, Merc EFI
I just heard of a new mixture of 50% Windex and 50% vinegar. Can't hurt to try?
Old 08-17-2013, 07:55 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2004 Prostar 190
Snobowl toilet bowl cleaner and then wash and wax

Sent from my Motorola RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

2004 Prostar 197, ACME 843
Old 08-17-2013, 08:28 AM
MC Master Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossterman View Post
Did the 100% vinegar test and not much improvement guess I'll need to consider some polishing or rubbing compound...
Any time something is on a surface and it doesn't come off by wiping, you need to find out what the substance's base is- water, acid or oil. If it doesn't come off using water, use vinegar. try denatured alcohol, then mineral spirits. If that doesn't work, use Oops or Goof-Off. You always want to use the mildest solvent on gel coat because it's porous and if you use a really aggressive solvent, the staining can become permanent.

If the hull was waxed before you went, it's likely that these spots are oil or ammonia-based and those will remove wax. Ammonia is one of the by-products of decaying animals and vegetation and WRT Ph level, it's somewhat basic, while waxes and oils are acidic and a solvent with the opposite range of Ph will dissolve it (acids and bases neutralize each other). If an acid won't remove the stains, try a solution of baking soda and water.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1993 Stars & Stripes Prostar 190 351 285 hp
I have had some really stubborn water spots come off with Ducky. Just follow the directions, spray on, let set for a minute, then wipe off with a damp towel, then dry. If that does not work, I would go with the Finesse II. I would be very surprised if you had to go any further than that. Remember to remove all residue of whatever you use each time, then finish with a nice carnuba.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:26 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimN View Post
Any time something is on a surface and it doesn't come off by wiping, you need to find out what the substance's base is- water, acid or oil. If it doesn't come off using water, use vinegar. try denatured alcohol, then mineral spirits. If that doesn't work, use Oops or Goof-Off. You always want to use the mildest solvent on gel coat because it's porous and if you use a really aggressive solvent, the staining can become permanent.

If the hull was waxed before you went, it's likely that these spots are oil or ammonia-based and those will remove wax. Ammonia is one of the by-products of decaying animals and vegetation and WRT Ph level, it's somewhat basic, while waxes and oils are acidic and a solvent with the opposite range of Ph will dissolve it (acids and bases neutralize each other). If an acid won't remove the stains, try a solution of baking soda and water.
well said Jim, one of the reasons I wax often even the hull... I use a mix of 5% white vinegar and 5% car wash when I get the boat home... all the spots come off. .. I know this is tough for people who keep their boat in the water in a slip. When I go to Canada and I leave the boat in the water for a week or more I put about 2 coats of Carnuba on the hull.

Seems to work when I pull and wash hull and everything comes off easily.

I bet the water makes a big difference as JimN says.