Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > Watersports > Waterskiing & Barefooting

Old 08-16-2013, 03:18 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
https://vimeo.com/72497522

I feel like I've got enough speed through the wakes to run the course at 28@-15, but I can't seem to turn hard or fast enough. Would love to hear some feedback...

Paging TxsRiverRat

BTW the Ski-Doc camera mount worked great for filming. Links to my equipment in the description of the video...
I'm no pro, but suggest getting a faster rythm. It looks like you're hanging out waiting to make your turns. I used to do this all the time...

If you can carry your outbound speed into a turn it will allow the ski to bend in the water and help you turn faster. This was the coolest sensation for me to develop. The catalyst to getting it right was a tip from a guy at a ski club: initiate your turn as soon as the rope gets to the the corner of the boat and reach. That tip helped me do a few things at once, look up at the boat, got my shoulders fixed up better and got me to take advantage of what my ski for what it was designed to do.

Before this, I was working harder, getting sore faster and not having as much fun as I do now.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:44 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm no pro, but suggest getting a faster rythm. It looks like you're hanging out waiting to make your turns. I used to do this all the time...

If you can carry your outbound speed into a turn it will allow the ski to bend in the water and help you turn faster. This was the coolest sensation for me to develop. The catalyst to getting it right was a tip from a guy at a ski club: initiate your turn as soon as the rope gets to the the corner of the boat and reach. That tip helped me do a few things at once, look up at the boat, got my shoulders fixed up better and got me to take advantage of what my ski for what it was designed to do.

Before this, I was working harder, getting sore faster and not having as much fun as I do now.
Great tip... measure 38 feet 7 inches away from the boat with the rope length you are using... put some tape on the sides of your boat to indicate (kinda) where the buoy will be. Then you can really start working your rhythm. As Ryan says... watch the corner of your boat - when your rope approaches the tape you should be ready to turn...

Buoys makes everything different... Free skiing will only get your confidence ready for a course... IMO and from what I have been told.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 93 Prostar 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
Buoys makes everything different... Free skiing will only get your confidence ready for a course... IMO and from what I have been told.
For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got inthe course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind)

Ring-ding-ding-ding-dingeringeding...

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got inthe course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind)
But you were a legendary free skier... not all of us have access to a course.. or a club... no clubs close to were I live... closest course - 90 minutes - 2 hours any direction...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:09 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
But you were a legendary free skier... not all of us have access to a course.. or a club... no clubs close to were I live... closest course - 90 minutes - 2 hours any direction...
Make it a point to come ski with us each year 1x

You know they all have a little string hanging out, but it's not a tampon, it's a price tag...
Old 08-16-2013, 05:12 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Quote:
I totally relate to this.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Make it a point to come ski with us each year 1x
I am hoping I get Texas back in my territory soon.. -
Old 08-16-2013, 05:31 PM
MC Maniac

Quote:
I am hoping I get Texas back in my territory soon.. -
DO ITTTT!

Old 08-17-2013, 12:43 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Good advice. Without buoys I never know how far to go and I can see how losing my speed by coasting flat and then starting to sink (esp. at my size) would kill my ability to turn.

Quote:
Great tip... measure 38 feet 7 inches away from the boat with the rope length you are using... put some tape on the sides of your boat to indicate (kinda) where the buoy will be. Then you can really start working your rhythm. As Ryan says... watch the corner of your boat - when your rope approaches the tape you should be ready to turn...
I remember this from a previous thread. Did you just do this on dry land with the rope hooked up?

Quote:
For me, getting in the slalom course only made me realize how bad I really sucked. Before I got in the course, I was a waterskiing legend (in my own mind)
Haha, ditto to this. I free skied behind the boat with some friends, and they thought I was amazing. Little do they know
Old 08-17-2013, 02:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
A flat ski is bad. You lose angle and speed, especially crossing the wakes and just before the turn. You have good knee bend, but you need to bring your shoulders back so that they are always behind your hips in a stacked position from your feet to your head. As others have said, don't wait to turn. You should always be either on edge, or changing edges and never flat except just before your turn in for the course. You have a good core to work from, just need to get into a stacked position and always keep moving from side to side. One more tip: with shouders back, keep your elbows tucked into your vest as your pulling from side to side. As soon as you get forward, the boat wins.