Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-16-2013, 09:22 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
1998 prostar 205 redo

New to this forum and been a long time fan of Mastercraft- Decided to take on a project. Bought a major hammered 1998 205 - been in salt water, abused, neglected and sat for 4 years. A real sad testimate to irresponsibility. I will post pics as I go. EVERYTHING has to come out and this will be a labor of love. I will have to remove the Engine, tranny, shaft prop rudder etc. First question. The Motor and tranny mounts are completely rusted , need to remove them and remove engine and eventually replace them. If I can unbolt them can I unbolt the mounts from the boat, pull engine and tranny and then replace mounts anew? If so best practice? Where to get new motor mounts. Thanks, First of many questions. Wingnut
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 09:32 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
wow.. good luck - welcome.. looking for forward to read and seeing the rebuild...

start here for engine mounts... http://www.skidim.com/searchprods.as...number=2&val=0
Old 08-16-2013, 10:50 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1997 prostar 205 lt1
Start by spraying every nut,bolt,mount etc. with PB blaster or liquid wrench. It won't hurt a thing to start soaking the rust. Where in the southeast do you live? If you live near the Jacksonville Florida area I have lots of shops I can recommend. I restored a 1997 205 and had to unbolt the mounts on the side of stringers to get the engine out. The bolts that hold the mounts to the stringers were stainless and I was able to break them free without a lot of force. You could also unbolt the mounts at the engine block and transmission interface if the bolts are not too badly rusted. I was able to restore my mounts to workable condition by soaking them in an oil bath then using lots of elbow grease and a drill with wire brush. If you replace them or rework the mounts be sure to take measurements so you can set the new or reworked mounts back to the same settings so the engine alignment will be much easier.

*I see you are from the Tampa area.

There are lots of prostar resto threads here is one with some links and pointers. http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...t=52998&page=2

Last edited by blackcreek; 08-16-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:00 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Welcome to Team Talk. You definitely have your work cut out for you but it will all be worth it in the end. be sure to take lots of pictures as you take things apart. It may be awhile before they go back together, and if your memory is anything like mine, well.......where was I?

Keep up posted on your progress and don't hesitate to throw those questions out. There will be someone here who has the answer.

Good luck.

Tandem Axle Wheel & Tire Package $629
4 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires

Single Axle Wheel & Tire Package $379
2 Matte Black T08 14x6 wheels, 2 ST215/75R14 Kenda Loadstar tires
MOUNT, BALANCE & FREE SHIPPING INCLUDED IN BOTH PACKAGES

CARB REBUILDING - FAST TURN-AROUND. $100 +PARTS
LED lights, Hubs, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts - Red, Blue & Black

PM or email me tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-16-2013, 04:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 M/C 205, 5.7 TBI
Update 8/16

Ok its 900 degrees down here in Florida, so working outside in an inferno and always fun (not). Got the interior mostly ripped out. Would like to redo with skins but its gonna be foam and skins on many pieces, will start estimates later. anyone used an overtons bucket seat (wise) instead of redoing MC seat? I exposed the drive train and after three days of PB plaster finally got the rudder to move and removed. The cable tube is welded together (galvanic corrosion) and will result in a new cable and tube. Removed the gas tank (Moeller 32 Gal ) and found about 5 gallons of Varnish and tar in the bottom- That was fun, but got it all cleaned out and will have to order new sending unit and fittings as well as pick up. Any leads? I've contacted Moeller via email- no reply yet. Will call next. The Engine and tranny mostly likely toast- Manifolds totally rusted on as well as many parts on engine. Raw water pump fused and my guess is that the interior ports of the engine are in the same condition. Blackcreek thanks for the feedback Ill do that but these mounts are pretty much gone- Where can I find new ones? Tranny (Hurth 450D) doesnt sound very smooth as I turn but no overt leaks, but its gonna have to be checked out and triaged. the coupler looks welded together. Sooooo Next is to get prop off. Shaft out and then start the removal of the engine and tranny and start really accessing the possibilities. More later Rebuild Engine or New?? Any advise on Michigan motors: changing over to PCM from Skidim;or other on engine redo. Thanks to all and anyone chime in? Thanks Wingnut
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2013, 04:42 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
www.isspro.com for sending unit. Moeller has a catolog for the other fittings.

Can you take another pic of the bow? Would like to see where your cushions were bolted in.

For the hoses find a local shop... I found one by me - Fuel line is cheap. Took me about 3 days to find a shop for fuel lines.. tranny lines can be purchased at Parker Stores.

Last edited by mikeg205; 08-16-2013 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 04:51 PM
TT Enthusiast

That would be an awesome project.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:28 PM
MC Addict

Boat: 92 Prostar
damn what a project! Good luck with that one pal! If you're close to Tampa area, then you're close to Bay Area Water Sports. You'll be able to find a lot of what you will need from them. Call Jim over there. 813-996-2297 (BAWS). As far as upholstery, there's a shop right next door to them, that does great work. Have fun with this project! never seen a boat quite that abused!
Old 08-16-2013, 07:54 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1996 ProStar 190
I, like all others here, can't wait for each of your posts as you bring her back from the dead. And if it's any consolation, my high school sweetheart looked worse than this when I saw her at the last reunion, and there NO hope for her...you, at least, have hope...and elbow grease...and time. As long as you are having fun, it'll be worth every hour you spend (again, not so much with my old girlfriend, but I digress).
Good luck, post often, and MANY pictures!!

1996 Prostar 190, LT1

"5 out of 4 people have a problem with statistics..."
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: None
I recently purchased a 97 205. If you need a reference for where things go during the assembly, come over and take a look. I am in New Tampa.