Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Towers

Old 08-13-2013, 05:45 PM

Boat: 06 X30
Considering the amount of load that is put on a tower I would never consider using it while it is bent. Likewise, I wouldn't consider bending it back and using it. The idea of a tower failure is too catastrophic in nature even think about doing so.

I would suggest just replacing that upper bar at the first point it bolts on.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:58 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: Current: '03 X2 w/ MCX. Former: '91 Prostar
Nothing really to add, but to mention that I feel your pain on this mishap...

Saturday AM I was putting the boat back on the lift, got distracted, and raised the tower into the lift pulley bar. In my case, I was fortunate that the lightbar on top of the tower was the only casualty, not counting the 10 years I took off my life in terms of heart damage when I heard the "crunch"
Old 08-14-2013, 12:17 PM

Looks like it has everything you need to change out the top bar. I would consider this a great price if the 07 and 09 towers are the same. They look the same to me.

http://greatlakesskipper.com/en_us/m...ard-tower-kit#
Old 08-15-2013, 09:43 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X10 5.7 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantRepeat View Post
Considering the amount of load that is put on a tower I would never consider using it while it is bent. Likewise, I wouldn't consider bending it back and using it. The idea of a tower failure is too catastrophic in nature even think about doing so.

I would suggest just replacing that upper bar at the first point it bolts on.
My local dealer is looking into replacement options. I am beyond frustrated by this accident. It never should have happened. We now have a auto shut off feature on the lift...day late and a dollar short on that one. At least this will never happen again.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
My local dealer is looking into replacement options. I am beyond frustrated by this accident. It never should have happened. We now have a auto shut off feature on the lift...day late and a dollar short on that one. At least this will never happen again.
I'm not sure what the dealer is asking for a replacement, but did you check out that link I posted?
Old 08-15-2013, 10:16 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 x30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripple View Post
First of sorry that happened to you.

Boat dock and lift just got finished yesterday and i have the same type of lift as you. If you don't mind me asking what and where did you get the auto shut off? I think ill learn from you and add that option
Old 08-16-2013, 08:32 AM
TT Regular

Boat: 2014 X10 5.7 Ilmor
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmikler View Post
First of sorry that happened to you.

Boat dock and lift just got finished yesterday and i have the same type of lift as you. If you don't mind me asking what and where did you get the auto shut off? I think ill learn from you and add that option
The company that installed your lift will add the option. You have two choices - one is passive and set, meaning that you set the height and do not change it. The second optionis more expensive and have a remote option that allows you to change the height limit. We opted for the second version as the lift will need to go higher in the winter when the tower is down.