Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Storage / Winterization

Old 08-14-2013, 09:13 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Maristar 200VRS w/ X2 Package, 2007, 310HP
Anyone with basic skills that has the time and the will to learn something new can do this. it's not rocket science. Get a good check list, do your research and check off one item at a time. When you're done I guarantee you'll have learned something useful and know more about your boat. And who knows when you're out on the water one day and something goes wrong you may be able to fix it yourself.

Another thought is that not all winterizations are created equal. I can guarantee you the procedure I do on my boat is much more comprehensive than what I've seen at any dealer or shop in my area but that's because it's my boat and I want it ready for spring. You'd be surprised what some places consider winterization and how much they'll charge for a poor job. You really need a good shop with a good reputation that you can trust to do it right.

I do agree with Jim's statement but it's not like you need a bunch of exotic tools and the ones you buy will pay for themselves after two seasons. Maybe less depending on how much of a haircut you get by the locals. Start by looking up winterization on this site and go through the check list. Where you have questions do more research. You can always get help here. Suck it up and learn to do something for yourself.....
Old 08-14-2013, 09:55 AM
MC Master Poster

Another thing (well, a bunch of others)- if you ski/boat with any size of group, call around and negotiate a bulk price on oils, filters, chemicals (fuel additives, anti-freeze, carb/throttle body cleaner, spray silicone for anti-corrosion, brake fluid), etc. If you all have a common place to meet that won't cause problems fro neighbors WRT noise, water runoff, etc, do it in groups so the more experienced can help the newer boat owners. Also, you could chip in for a large watering trough (I got one that holds 50+ gallon RubberMaid at Fleet Farm) and install a splash guard so the exhaust won't overshoot, wasting it. I used a piece of old conveyor belt and screwed it to the trough. I also had a battery with a remote switch that powered a 1000 gpm bilge pump for running stern-drive boats (the water intake didn't always go deep enough in the trough). If you buy a drum of anti-freeze (-50F), it should take care of everyone's boats and when you run the engine on pure anti-freeze, there's no chance of having water pockets in the engine. Drain the engines before starting and use oil booms to absorb oil-based stuff that ends up in the trough.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:58 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MasterCraft, MariStar 200 VRS, 1998, LT1
I did all my own car repair in high school because i couldn't afford a mechanic so I do have some skills. Now i pay to have most car work done because i just don't want to do it myself. BUT, i did my own winterization last year. I would highly recommend it as you learn a lot about your boat in the process. When something happens to you on the water you will be much better prepared and relaxed to deal with it.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:32 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeg205 View Post
You don't have 'nuff MCOCD if ya need a ins... policy...
Oh I have more than enough MCOCD pal. But for $30 I would have too much DUMMY not to pay it.

Incidentally, I pulled up my floor sections and scrubbed my bilge on Sunday. That should qualify for 'nuff MCOCD.

Successfully learning how to winterize you boat will put you on a closer level with all the operations and functions of your boat. This should make you a more effective boat operator in knowing when something isn't working quite right and hopefully catching small issues before they a big problem.

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-14-2013, 11:01 AM
TT Enthusiast

It will cost you $300 to $400 for winterization for a job you can do and know that it's done right for about $40 to $50. It takes a about 6 to 8 hours but in those hours I also remove all water spots and wax the boat.

Just about every person I know that pay's someone has had a issue with the winterization. Cracked ballast pumps, clogged fuel filter, shredded impeller, nothing like a cracked block just little things.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsmrmastercraft View Post
Oh I have more than enough MCOCD pal. But for $30 I would have too much DUMMY not to pay it.

Incidentally, I pulled up my floor sections and scrubbed my bilge on Sunday. That should qualify for 'nuff MCOCD.

Successfully learning how to winterize you boat will put you on a closer level with all the operations and functions of your boat. This should make you a more effective boat operator in knowing when something isn't working quite right and hopefully catching small issues before they a big problem.

$30? only - Hey I should get that...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: Mastercraft, Maristar 200VRS, 1995, Indimar 5.7, My first MasterCraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastercraft1995 View Post
It will cost you $300 to $400 for winterization for a job you can do and know that it's done right for about $40 to $50. It takes a about 6 to 8 hours but in those hours I also remove all water spots and wax the boat.

Just about every person I know that pay's someone has had a issue with the winterization. Cracked ballast pumps, clogged fuel filter, shredded impeller, nothing like a cracked block just little things.
Wow, my marina charges $325.00. That includes winterization, acid wash hull, shrink wrap and storage indoors all winter.

Find a better marina or mechanic.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Here's the checklist from East TX

checklist in post #2... http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ead.php?t=4821
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 1977 Stars & Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post
Wow, my marina charges $325.00. That includes winterization, acid wash hull, shrink wrap and storage indoors all winter.

That is a great price!

Tandem Axle Trailer Special
Includes: 4 T07 wheels, 4 ST205/75R14 Kenda
Loadstar KR03 Radial tires, mount and balance
Free Delivery

ALUMINUM WHEEL AND TIRE PACKAGES
SINGLE AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $369
SINGLE AXLE 15" PACKAGE STARTING AT $439
TANDEM AXLE 14" PACKAGE STARTING AT $649
LED lights, Spare Tire Carriers, Chrome & Powder Coated Lug Nuts
GOLF CART TIRES & WHEELS

PM me or email tiresplease@gmail.com
Old 08-14-2013, 11:46 AM
TT Enthusiast

That is a smoking deal.

No deal like that around here I can tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traxx822 View Post