Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft 225 VRS LT1
New Goodies

Last week was a busy week for the boat, she got quite a few upgrades

New Parts:
- The new Seadek pad finally came in on Friday.
- Perfect Pass Stargazer GPS Wake Edition came in on Thursday.
- New OJ 532 Fusion 14.25" x 14.5" prop came in on Friday. (no pics unfortunately)
- Gas struts and latch came in on Thursday (I'm working on doing away with the electric ram after making new engine dividers to gain more room for ballast). And for anyone interested... the rivets seen in the picture did not hold lol. That aluminum cardboard is some thin stuff! My brother is currently making a different mount for it at work.
Attached Images

Old 08-05-2013, 01:42 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Nice job on the boat, and good looking boat overall. That Seadek pad came out awesome! How did you go about having that made? Make a template and send it in, or did they already have a pattern for that boat?
Old 08-05-2013, 03:14 PM
TT Regular

Thanks for the compliments!

They already had a template for my boat but I didn't like the font that they used with the bubble around the MasterCraft logo, so I had them change it to the font you see above. It was well worth the money! It's very gentle on the feet yet it provides a ton of traction to prevent slipping on the swim platform.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:42 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
WOW!!!! She is looking GREAT! I have the same boat and I love the hinge idea for the sun deck. I put my gas shocks on the outside edges and seem to have had pretty good luck with them there. Adding the latch this weekend. What did you make the engine compartment dividers out of. If the ones in my boat warp any more, I will be able to use them for a taco shell template. Also, how hard was the seadek pad to install? I've been considering one for a while now. It definately looks sharp.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 225 vrs 1996
Nice work. I like your pattern on the Seadek much better than mine turned out. I'll have to dig up mine, to show a different option.

Great job overall.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:43 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft Prostar 190 1991
Congrats on a great project! I love the look of the platform!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:00 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smarten View Post
WOW!!!! She is looking GREAT! I have the same boat and I love the hinge idea for the sun deck. I put my gas shocks on the outside edges and seem to have had pretty good luck with them there. Adding the latch this weekend. What did you make the engine compartment dividers out of. If the ones in my boat warp any more, I will be able to use them for a taco shell template. Also, how hard was the seadek pad to install? I've been considering one for a while now. It definately looks sharp.
The hinge came out great, I'm really happy with it since the old one was about to fall apart.

We were all set to mount the gas struts to the sides but at the last second we decided to keep them out of the way of loading stuff into the compartments while on the trailer.... and we were a little scared to drill into the fiberglass right there haha. Do you have a picture for reference of how you mounted your struts and latch? I'm hoping to do that before this weekend.

The engine dividers are made out of 3/4" PVC board that we reinforced with aluminum angle on the tops and bottom. We just traced the old dividers onto the PVC and cut them out. The old one looked like tacos as well! Everytime I would fill ballast they would pop out of the track and frustrate me New ones are rock solid!

The SeaDek pad was really easy to install, just make sure you have a clean surface and it'll take you 5 mins to stick it down. I watched the installation video a couple times beforehand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJY_6AitbDw

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 08-14-2013, 12:08 PM
TT Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carisch View Post
Nice work. I like your pattern on the Seadek much better than mine turned out. I'll have to dig up mine, to show a different option.

Great job overall.
Carisch, I love the way your new interior turned out! That's probably going to be next winter's project for this boat. It's still all in one piece but a couple stitches are starting to pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by steepndeep View Post
Congrats on a great project! I love the look of the platform!
Thanks, you have a great project going as well! Good luck on it.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:08 AM
TT Regular

Boat: '94 Maristar 225VRS 5.7 LT1
Sorry it took so long to get some pics. Between the rain( ) and life in general, I finally got a few. I have a couple more of how the gas struts look that I will put up tonight. I had one of them pull out of the aluminum cardboard(imagine that) but in the midst of my preperation for melt down, I thought about trying some drywall anchors. So far they work great! I put a pic of the ones I used. The do not poke through either. The hard part was the latch. I had to use a pair of channel lock pliers to crush the deck so I could get the mounting nut on the bottom. It took a bit because I didn't want to crush it too much. A little repair to the mesh underside of the deck left but otherwise, came out pretty good. I am planning on using a small block of wood to reinforce the seat back where the latch hits. Just in case. And, yes, the MC logo IS upside down on the seat back. The PO had some of the upholstry redone but a little old man here in town. When he was done, he installed it wrong. I figure it is easier for my wife and kids to read it as they lay out on the deck taking it easy
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2013, 08:38 AM
TT Regular

Smarten, thanks for the pictures that came out great! I know what you mean about the weather.... It's either been raining or overcast and 75 degrees. The girls wouldn't even get in the water this past weekend because it was too cold, but that just meant more surf time for me

We finally mounted the struts on Sunday and I'll have to get some pictures when I get back to the boat. We tig welded the strut mount brackets to a 5" circular plate with 8 mounting screws around the perimeter, it's rock solid now!

We still have to mount the latch, but I bought the pull cord style latch that mounts underneath the sunpad.