Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-08-2013, 07:40 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 1985 MC SS
1985 SS / water in the bilge

New boat to me and probably didnt have much attention for the past 5 years. I had a loose swim step and cured that problem with the help of many here. put the boat in the water and found water in the bilge the next day which when pumped out took about 10-15 seconds to complete. Started tightening all the through hull nuts and found many very loose. Pulled the boat out of the water and tightened everything. Caulked around the fins and water intake from the underside. Caulked around the rudder fitting and when she was back in the water I still have water finding its way in but much less. I am thinking about taking her out again and filling the bilge to see where the water might be coming in from. I did use 5200 on the bolts for my swim step brackets.. they appear very tight. Any similar problems or thoughts about cures out there? Thanks.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:29 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1990 mastercraft p190
Rudder seal? Does it only happen if the boat has been ran or just if it's sitting over night?
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
Maybe leaking around the stuffing box, the aluminum piece bonded to the hull that the shaft passes through. It's epoxied and then covered in fiberglass but numerous examples on TT of boats leaking right here...mine included: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=54563
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 08-08-2013, 11:50 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 85 Stars&Stripes, safe-t-top, trick realease, boom, flitepipe pylon
Mufflers?
Old 08-09-2013, 01:24 AM
TT Regular

Thanks guys for your responses. I took out the back seat, back cover and tried to find where the water is coming in from. At first I thought it was swim step supports.. recently replaced and it may be to some degree.. They were caulked with 5200 and Im pulling the boat to recaulk them this weekend. All the other locations have been checked and nothing. I sponged the bilge dry and saw water coming in from around the rudder. caulked inside and out as well as bolts and nuts. I can leave the boat in our slip at night and have 10-12 seconds of water bilged in the morning. Looked at the mufflers.. dry. I am really stumped.. its not a lot of water but it drives me nuts. Packing nut is brand new and professionally installed. How much water if any.. do you guys get in your boat?
thanks.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: ProStar 190, 1989, 351W
put it on a trailer, fill the bilge with a few inches of water and look for leaks underneath the boat, this is how i found my leak.
Somewhere between SML and LKG
Old 08-09-2013, 09:18 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1984 Ski Nautique
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGP View Post
Thanks guys for your responses. I took out the back seat, back cover and tried to find where the water is coming in from. At first I thought it was swim step supports.. recently replaced and it may be to some degree.. They were caulked with 5200 and Im pulling the boat to recaulk them this weekend. All the other locations have been checked and nothing. I sponged the bilge dry and saw water coming in from around the rudder. caulked inside and out as well as bolts and nuts. I can leave the boat in our slip at night and have 10-12 seconds of water bilged in the morning. Looked at the mufflers.. dry. I am really stumped.. its not a lot of water but it drives me nuts. Packing nut is brand new and professionally installed. How much water if any.. do you guys get in your boat?
thanks.
Be careful when removing something that has 5200 on it. 5200 will take Gelcoat with it when you remove the brackets. Use a razor to cut it loose before you pull it off.

Until you figure things out, you might want to get an automatic bilge; one that will pump when the water gets to a certain level. It's good to have anyway if you are leaving your boat in the water for extended periods of time.

Good luck on isolating the leak!
Previous 1992 Sport Nautique
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 1984 Mastercraft Stars and Stripes, 351 windsor
It's the driveshaft, most likely. I have an 84 s&s and I always have water in the bilge. That driveshaft seal can get old and start to seep more than it should. It is normal to get some water coming in but not much. I wired up my automatic bilge and it comes on a few times a day when I leave it in the water all day. I wouldn't worry too much about it, but maybe have the seal replaced if it makes you feel better.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:37 PM
TT Regular

TG what model float did you use for your bilge pump? I have looked at installing a bp with an automatic sensor but the reviews for them are lousy. thanks for your thoughts.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:46 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1988 Tristar 190 Sport (Closed Bow), 351W w/ GT-40's
I would check the exhaust hoses where they connect to the thru-hull exhaust flanges. Mine only had single hose clamps on that joint that had worked loose over the years I suspect. The flanges on mine had developed a flat spot on the circular hose insert that didn't help either. You may be able to see if that condition exists by looking in from the outside exhaust flap. You'll have to have it in the water and be able to see the connection from the inside (gas tank removed?) to determine if it's leaking or not.

Also, check the speedo tubing and brass tubes for leaks.