Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-08-2013, 05:44 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxsRiverRat View Post
I won't open that can of worms re: the 98 PS190....

You're 100% right... I skied a 197 a few weeks ago. I could not tell the difference between my 205 and the 197... Perhaps it's focus... I know even with a 22' off bump behind my boat, I am just fine as long as the form is correct...
Yeah, Yeah we've all heard the same things "stay on edge and you'll be fine", try telling that to a kid who is just learning to slalom at 19 - 22 mph, even at 26 mph my prostar has a significant wake. It takes time, practice, coaching to get good form and trying to learn that when you are hitting a larger wake is definitely a deterrent. Fact remains, the prostar wake at longer lines and slower speeds was not in the same ballpark as its competition. I really hope they have addressed that because I love my MC and want my next upgrade to be a 2014 - of course, that isn't likely to happen until about 2025
Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 2007 X1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19_Skier View Post
Yeah, Yeah we've all heard the same things "stay on edge and you'll be fine", try telling that to a kid who is just learning to slalom at 19 - 22 mph, even at 26 mph my prostar has a significant wake. It takes time, practice, coaching to get good form and trying to learn that when you are hitting a larger wake is definitely a deterrent. Fact remains, the prostar wake at longer lines and slower speeds was not in the same ballpark as its competition. I really hope they have addressed that because I love my MC and want my next upgrade to be a 2014 - of course, that isn't likely to happen until about 2025
To be fair the 197 was designed as a 3-event boat. The whole trick skiing industry needed a good boat to...all 26 of them.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:35 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 02 Pro Tournament 197-Cadillac LQ9
2014 Prostar First hand

Was down at Predator Bay today and hand a real good look at the new boat. All the pro's and local's skiing it were impressed!! Great looking boat in person and very well thought out design!! Happy MC has a new tug boat for us skiers!!
PS Nate and Will both skied 5@41 today in tough conditions!!
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2013, 08:43 PM
MC Maniac

Boat: 1994 Mastercraft, ProStar 205, 350 Indmar with 275 hp
Reverse Gel twins!!
Attached Images

1994 MasterCraft ProStar 205
275 HP 350 Chevy Indmar
Monster Tower & PerfectPass

Check out the MasterCraft Buckeye Bash on Facebook!

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Old 08-08-2013, 09:02 PM
MC Master Poster

Boat: 2008 X45 Switch L18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattigr View Post
Was down at Predator Bay today and hand a real good look at the new boat. All the pro's and local's skiing it were impressed!! Great looking boat in person and very well thought out design!! Happy MC has a new tug boat for us skiers!!
PS Nate and Will both skied 5@41 today in tough conditions!!
I agree with others... Needs the transom decals.
Old 08-08-2013, 10:12 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: MC, 35th Anniversary Edition, 03 Stars & Stripes
Having trouble with the nose!

I originally like the pickle fork on the x star, but it just doesn't look normal. I guess I'm old school too. What about a back seat? It looks its a pure ski boat.
I do love the convertible front. I want a 190, but the wife wants the open bow. Now we can have both. I'd like to see one in black and reversed black. If anyone sees one in black, please post the pictures. I too hope its got a good to great wake at slower speeds. How does it ski for the NON pros?
amonette516@comcast.net
Old 08-09-2013, 01:27 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2001 19Skier
Quote below from Ball of Spray from a member who skied behind one of the new boats at Predator Bay yesterday:

"I skied behind the new Prostar today, and talked to a bunch of other skiers lucky enough to be part of this release.

- The dreaded MasterCrest wake at 22 off is gone, or at least it's a LOT smaller and softer as is the 28 off version of this bump.
- I talked to a 30mph skier who is used to our club Prostars, and he described the wake at 30 mph as "feeling like little more than washboard." Skiers working their way up the speedo are going to like this boat.
- The trough at 35 off and shorter is way shallower, and there's significantly less spray.
- We have the big motor in our club boats, but they don't accelerate nearly as well as this new boat.
- The new boat is significantly quieter than the old boat but retains a wonderful V8 sound. I'd say it's as quiet as a 200, but far more "soulful," if that makes sense. In fact, I'd rate it the best sounding tournament boat ever, balancing a nice rich sound with low volume. Bull's-eye!
- Most of it's cool features have been already covered in this thread, but I'll add that it looks better in the flesh than in pictures. I wasn't too moved by the look on paper, but it looks beautiful in person. Even the pickle-fork front end, which wouldn't be my first choice, turned out to be just fine in person.

All in all, this boat is a worthwhile and significant upgrade. The pull was rock solid and the wakes were a non-issue. Oooohh how I wish I'd been fresh because I liked skiing behind this boat!

I can frame this another way. I own a CC200, and a CC196. Our club uses two current ProStars, and I train regularly with a coach who uses Malibu. Despite my limited and compromised experience today, I feel safe in saying that this new ProStar will reshuffle the deck.
"
Old 08-09-2013, 02:15 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1990 PS 190, 02 Wakesetter VLX
The more pictures I see of this boat, the more I like!! Love the stern area. No rear seat for this guy.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:21 PM

Boat: 1995 Pro Star 205 5.7 Liter
Send a message via Skype™ to mikeg205
Raw ski boat only.... I understand... driver and observer and corrective ballast when skier and coach only - for private lakes...
Old 08-09-2013, 02:26 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2003 Prostar 209 MCX
What is that located on the right side? Is that for a engine flush?
Attached Images