Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 08-08-2013, 06:27 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: none
That was me.. I have them made locally to spec. Yes it will fit, but of course I need dimensions of yours, pulley size and what it goes on. The cost is around $275 for a 225a marine alternator.

Its a 2 wire setup, not requiring the current sensing plug. Its just a ground to to the battery/block of the engine and a hot lead to the battery/switch block.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:56 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 91' MC 240sc
You probably have a 10si alt. From talks with my electrical guy, the smaller case is limiting on how much power can be added. He beefed up my components to 130ish amps in a reliable setup (different than just getting max amps). As it was, I had to move to a double pulley from the stock single. It was fairly cheap to add to the alt and fortunately the crank already had a double.

If you go too powerful, you will have significant $$ is accommodating that expensive high output alt. I would definitely recommend a solid rebuild in the $150-200 range over another stock alt.
Here is a cheap import alternative - http://www.dbelectrical.com/casearch...ne+alt&x=0&y=0

As you have figured out though, 3 depleted batteries are too much for a stock 70amp alt. You should not have to make a huge jump to 225 but I will not stop you as I am a big fan of overkill, especially reinforcing the base.

You should be able to safely use your battery switch to charge 2 depleted batteries as long as -
you are not trying to idle significant distance or time (low rpm = lower output)
you are not trying to play the stereo high volume while charging 2 depleted batteries.