Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Audio/Stereo

Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
2001 ProStar 209 - New Install - Suggestions

I am about to install a new stereo system in my ProStar 209, which has never had a system in it at all.

I am wanting bluetooth streaming capability, AM/FM and Weatherband capabilities. I'm pretty convinced I want a hideaway unit with a control panel mounted in the glovebox with a wired remote installed in the panel next to the throttle for easy volume and track control.

I've looked quite a bit online and have narrowed my selection down to a Polk hideaway unit with control panel, Polk Wired Remote, Polk Ultra Marine Speakers, Polk Amp and Polk Ultra Marine Sub.

I may add tower speakers at some point in the future, but right now I'm just interested in interior sound, not sound for those on a board behind the boat.

The speakers I'm looking at are 6.5" coaxial models and I'm planning to install two in the bow (pretty sure there are already speaker holes behind the cushions) and in the two panels under the rear seat. The sub will most likely be installed in the kick panel right in front of the driver's seat.

Looking for any real-world experience from other 209 owners on this plan and any guidance if you think my plan is not practical for this boat (for example, if the intended speaker locations will not accommodate a 6.5" speaker or if there is some other option I should be considering).
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People
Old 07-31-2013, 10:00 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-25 6.2 Ilmore
TT, I have an 01 209 that I put a system in. I put the head unit into the front wall of the glove box(right side). I put a 10 disc CD changer(the install was before iphones came out)underneath the dash. Under the passenger side seat I had a 1"thick clear plexi board crafted that is bolted to the lower side rails running the length of the boat. Attached to that are three amps; one to power 6 speakers in the main system, one to power the 2 tower speakers, and one to power a 10" sub in the front and a 12" sub in the rear. All speakers are coaxial pioneer marine. Although Im not sure but I THINK the ones in the bow are 6.5"'s but they might be a tad smaller than that) the other speakers are 8.5"'s everywhere else. The bow speakers are located in the bow just below the front seats as you walk through to the bow, the middle set is mounted in the lower part of the engine cowling on either side, and the rear set are located just under the rear seat on the right and left side I think where you were suggesting. The 10" sub is an independent waterproof housing that is under the passenger seat(where the amps are)to the right side of that compartment behind the battery. The rear sub is also housed in a custom fitted waterproof box on the drivers side of the rear ski locker(note if you do a rear sub in this location, make sure you equip it with quick release wires because you are likely to be pulling the sub out every time the fuel pump fails which in my boat is often). Running all this are two blue top gel batteries wired to a capacitor that regulates the voltage draw(it cost me two subs before I added the regulator). The head unit has USB and Iphone connections but I have not added sirius to the sytem as of now. If you go with this much power(I am running around 5K), you are going to need to upgrade the alternator to a 95amp(my original was a 45 amp). The only issues I have run into is when you have an inexperienced driver plow the low bow through rollers and fill up the boat with water. The amp connections are low, so I put an emergency circuit breaker switch to kill all power from the batteries to the amps in case that happens. That switch is located on the inside wall just above the battery. Works like a charm. I've had the system for about 8 years and the only problems I have encountered is no matter how low in volume you think you are running the stereo, you should only run it for 20 minutes tops without cranking the boat. I also put an isolator switch between the gel batteries and the boat battery just in case. If you shut off the boat battery, you can play the stereo until the subs quit working. That is how at least on my system, I know it is running low on lower. To control the system(it is hard for the driver to lean all the way over to the glove box while driving) I put remote control units just in front of and above the throttle(there is a little panel there), and one in the center of the rear transom just below the rear tow ring(it is on the part of the stern that angles back towards the front of the boat) so you can control the system from the water. The head unit is a Kenwood, the amps are all Kenwood the two subs are Pioneer Premier's and the tower speakers are Clarions in the Mastercraft chrome housings. Hope this helps

Last edited by skitilldark; 07-31-2013 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:16 PM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2001 MasterCraft ProStar 209, 310 HP
Send a message via AIM to TripleThreat Send a message via Yahoo to TripleThreat
You don't happen to have any pictures of the install locations that you could post, do you? Curious to see your mounting locations for everything.
NESBA "A" #719
STT "A" #719

On the Road Less Traveled...

...You Always Meet More Interesting People

Last edited by TripleThreat; 09-03-2013 at 11:32 PM.