Go Back   TeamTalk > General MasterCraft Topics > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2013, 08:55 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Hey X2 Owners, what do you think?

So I am wondering what all the X2 owners think. I am looking at one myself and I am really interested in what the owners of this model think.

How do you like it? What are the pros and cons?

What do you use it for? Wakeboard, surfing, tubing?

Does anyone have a 2012 or 13 and if so tell me about your garage situation. I have a standard 7 foot garage with a flat driveway and it sounds like it could be be a close one.

Thanks everyone!! Looking forward to hearing from you.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2006 X2
I have an '06 X2 and I is perfect for me and my family. A '12 or '13 will have the same hull with updated top deck that has a walk through sun pad and more pronounced cut outs for reverse seating in the bow. The newer ones will also have a center trim tab and maybe surf tabs as well. Mine has no tabs, but performs fine for me without them. It throws enough of a wakeboard wake stock that I don't even need to fill any ballast, but I am a novice rider if there ever was one. My kids are 9 and 7 so we will see over time if we ever need any more wake than what we have.

It makes a great surf wave on the starboard side with a 450 lb sac in the corner and my 250 lbs driving. My wife can surf all day rope less and is working on getting her spins down. We had the boat full of people last weekend and the wave was huge! I surf the port side with the extra 450 sac, and I struggle to stay in the pocket. I know this is rider error, though, and I am practicing my control of the board.

My garage door opening is only about 6' 8" and mine will not fit under the door. I have read many threads where others' boats do fit in a 7' door, though so my advice is to bring it home and try it at your house to make sure before you buy.

The X2 is the perfect boat for us. Plenty of wake, great size and more interior room and storage than any other 20 footer I have seen.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:53 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
I have the ZFT2 tower on my 2012, which doesn't exist anymore. It will not fit in a 7' door: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=44089
I don't know about the replacement ZFT4, but by the looks of it, it will only be worse. I have the single axle trailer. The tandem trailer gets you more clearance. Latin Flyer got one to fit in his garage: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=45830. This thread also has some pictures of my custom hitch that I use to get mine into the garage. I jack the tongue up to drop the tower down, back it in, and then lower the tongue back down.

2012 added the autolaunch to the attitude plate. If you're going to load the boat up, it's a nice feature. 13's have it also. 2012's had a lot of software issues. They've updated software, and it's a lot better, but mine still acts up a little. As a 2012 owner, I'd recommend you go with a 2013 if possible.

I surf, wakeboard, and ski a little. I mainly wakeboard and added the flyhigh ballast kit. The surf wave has a lot more push than my old 02 X Star, but I've never been on any of the boats known for surf waves, nor do I care that much. Its not a world class surf wave, but it's a pretty good wave for a 20' boat.

Ski wake is pretty good for a 3500 pound V drive - if you have the attitude plate down around 75%. There's still a bigger than DD table for a wake, but it's definitely skiable, and some people even take it through the course. I have lots of friends with DD's, so I usually use their boats.

Wakeboard wake is plenty for me. With the standard ballast, it has a nice ramp to it. With the fly high kit, it gets a lot more height added to it. I've actually been only filling factory mostly this year to work on new tricks. It still has plenty of wake. The biggest issue is speed. If you start adding over factory, you really need to increase the speed to keep the wake from curling. With fly high bags filled, I'm running 23.6 mph to ride at 70' rope length.

It's a great boat if you're garage limited. I only have the 5.7L Ilmor, and with autolaunch, it works for me even with the fly high bags filled. The dealer just gave me an Acme 15x14.25 4 blade prop, and it gets out of the hole even better without losing on the top end.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:08 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X10
Thanks for the information. I am really torn. I think I can get it in but it will be very close and I may need to do some of the "tricks" mentioned in several of the threads.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:21 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2014 X-2
When my buddy bought his new Axis A20, the deal was contigent upon the dealer bringing it over and fitting it into his garage. He said the dealer obliged, but gave him a funny look. Then he showed the dealer his picture of me jacking my boat trailer tongue up to get in.

Before you buy, if you decide to, make the dealer bring the boat out and fit it in.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:34 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 2013 X2
I previously owned 2011 and 2012 Malibus, but made the switch to the 2013 X2. I love the X2. Great wake, best fit and finish of any boat I have owned, and has a great amount of storage. It doesn't handle as well as the Malibu, but it has a better ride on the water. The bimini is much easier to use. The zero off GPS cruise is now standard and it is rock solid. I love the cruise! The hard side igloo cooler under the seat is sweet. I have the base ZFT0 tower which they say doesn't fold, but it does. you have to loosen the bolts at the bottom of the tower and the whole tower folds backwards. When if folds backwards, you will need 8.5 feet height (single axle trailer).

Just FYI - for 2013, there wasn't just a software update - they completely dropped the medallion system like Malibu and Tige uses and went with the Murphy system like Nautique and Supra has. The murphy system is much better IMO.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:13 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: X-2, MCX
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post
When my buddy bought his new Axis A20, the deal was contigent upon the dealer bringing it over and fitting it into his garage. He said the dealer obliged, but gave him a funny look. Then he showed the dealer his picture of me jacking my boat trailer tongue up to get in.

Before you buy, if you decide to, make the dealer bring the boat out and fit it in.
X2...Midwest MC did this for us before we bought. Glad they did because we BARELY squeaked by. It all worked out though

Btw...we love our X-2!!

Last edited by park190; 08-06-2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added information that replies to original topic
Old 08-06-2013, 12:32 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 MasterCraft X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcd View Post

I did this wit my previous boat. Dealer brought it over, backed it in with just inches to spare, it fit....dang it, guess I had to buy it....oh well..........
2006 F150 SCrew Puller
http://www.crowniehq.net
http://banners.wunderground.com/weat.../OR/Albany.gif
Old 08-06-2013, 07:07 PM
TT Regular

Boat: 2006 Mastercraft X2 MCX w/ 07 Tower
We love our x2! Perfect size to fit in a regular sized double car garage. I can fit the boat and my wife's Yukon in ours -- with room for our junk on the sides ! The swim deck obviously has to come off and w/ the foldable tongue, there is literally only inches from the back wall and the garage door.

Overall, its a great size boat and has PLENTY of room for a small family. The wake, even without ballast, is enough to have fun.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:46 PM
TT Newbie

Boat: 2008 Mastercraft X2, 1997 Prostar LT1
I have a '08 and love it. I had a DD before, and for some strange reason the boat didn't grow with my famy! Reluctantly had to get a bigger boat and chose the X-2. We use it for skiing, wakeboarding and tubing. The wake for us is great for wakeboarding without ballasts, but fill 'me up and wow, a good pop. Keep in mind we are novices. I'm more of a skier, and the wake is not bad at all. Hard to compare the wakes of a DD and V-drive but the x-2's is really good. As for tubing, well tubing is tubing. Not a fan of tubers, as they tend to mess up good skiing water, but my youngest two like it, so I haul it around grudgingly.

Can't help you much on the garage issue. I have 16 foot doors on my shop, so no problems with storage. Good luck.

Tags
2012, garage, mc x2, surfing, wakeboard