Go Back   TeamTalk > Maintenance Tips, How-tos and Refurbishing Topics > Restorations and Refurbishments

Old 08-06-2013, 12:58 AM
TT Newbie

Boat: Mastercraft, maristar 210, 2000
2000 Maristar 210VRS project...

I have really enjoyed reading through all of the posts and gained quite a bit of knowledge & motivation (it is needed with the 100deg.+ days we have had recently) to keep slowly working on a 2000 Maristar 210 VRS I picked up from a neighbor last month. The boat made the long journey (2 houses down) on 7/2; exactly 13 days before my daughter was born. Needless to say the wife was less than enthused. I thought it would be a good idea to go ahead & start my own thread to help chronicle the work I am doing(and because I am sleep deprived & forget more than is coming into my head at the moment) as well as elicit suggestions about things I should or shouldn’t be doing (please interject with both).This boat has had a rather hard life in primarily salt water & being stored outside (occasionally with a cover). It has a leaking transmission (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/...ad.php?t=55683) along with a bit of corrosion and rust on the motor, but it still started right up when I turned the key. I have removed the entire interior and spent a bit of time with the buffer & 3M buffing compound as well as a cleaner wax & then a non-carnuba based wax. I am pretty happy with the results for now, but will probably re-approach the finish with finesse-it & a fleet wax this winter. I will also start to get quotes for redoing the interior during the slower winter months. I have now also decided to pull the entire running gear (motor & trans) so that I can clean, inspect, & fix anything needed while not being cramped in the engine compartment. Here are a few poor pictures that I have taken over the course of the work.

As it came home:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Motor & Trans:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

Swim platform refinished (washed, sanded, teak oil):
[IMG][/IMG]

Break for having the little one (Evelyn):
[IMG][/IMG]

After 2 passes with 3m buffing compound:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

After cleaner wax (looks better, but not 100%):
[IMG][/IMG]

Playing with speaker options (my trim rings to fit 6.5" speakers look really bad & I'm thinking about putting 2 8" subs up front for a little more fill.... not sure though... any suggestions?):
[IMG][/IMG]

The beginnings of my motor stand... (should be pulling on Thursday or Friday):

That should be enough fornow. Any suggestions; please let me know!

Thanks,
Luke
Old 08-06-2013, 01:04 AM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
Looks identical to mine. Let me know if I can help out.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:12 AM
MC Maniac

Boat: 85' S&S
to help us all out, give us the name and address of the previous owner.... haha
Old 08-06-2013, 01:22 AM
MC Fanatic

Boat: 2000 Prostar 195 - 350 TBI Predator, 1:1, 13x11.5 OJ 3-Blade
Congrats on the daughter, she's beautiful.

The boat...not so much Hope you got it for a steal! The buffing looks good and the boat doesn't seem beyond repair, just a lot of elbow grease at boxes from skidim ahead of you. Best of luck!
Old 08-06-2013, 10:34 AM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankSchwab View Post
Looks identical to mine. Let me know if I can help out.
Thank you; I may have to take you up on the offer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aric'sX15 View Post
to help us all out, give us the name and address of the previous owner.... haha
To chastise them for abusing the boat.... Please do!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMLVMI View Post
Congrats on the daughter, she's beautiful.

The boat...not so much Hope you got it for a steal! The buffing looks good and the boat doesn't seem beyond repair, just a lot of elbow grease at boxes from skidim ahead of you. Best of luck!
Thank you very much! She is a trip, changing & learning every day.
I picked the boat up for $2,000. So I should be ok on keeping the cost reasonable. Believe me, the list has already started!

Thanks,
Luke
Old 08-06-2013, 12:11 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 Mastercraft Maristar with a Corvette LT1
Very nice project!!! I've been going thru my Maristar I bought this spring and my one big piece of advice for you is label, bag and take pics of EVERYTHING that you take apart. I've done a pretty good job recording things with mine but I could have taking more pics, the nice thing with a digital camera are pics are free but for reference they are priceless!!

Good luck and keep the pics coming!!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
Great platform to start with! Going to be a nice boat when you are done. Keep at it and it will all be worth it when it's finished. Don't be afraid to take the baby out when it's done either. Had my son out at 8 weeks old; now 2 year later, he is a boating addict. Good luck with the build. Congrats on the baby!
Old 08-06-2013, 07:41 PM
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hig View Post
Very nice project!!! I've been going thru my Maristar I bought this spring and my one big piece of advice for you is label, bag and take pics of EVERYTHING that you take apart. I've done a pretty good job recording things with mine but I could have taking more pics, the nice thing with a digital camera are pics are free but for reference they are priceless!!

Good luck and keep the pics coming!!
Thank you hig, I have followed your build since joining TT. I appreciate your insight & detail; it has helped greatly already. Yes, the wife has already "asked" a few times for her sandwich bags back.... she just shook her head when I handed her one full of bolts. She should be used to it by now, but... o-well. I have stepped up my game with the pictures, it is just hard to stop & snap pictures when you get into the zone while working.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsturvey View Post
Great platform to start with! Going to be a nice boat when you are done. Keep at it and it will all be worth it when it's finished. Don't be afraid to take the baby out when it's done either. Had my son out at 8 weeks old; now 2 year later, he is a boating addict. Good luck with the build. Congrats on the baby!
Thank you, that’s what I keep telling myself when faced with another stuck bolt!
I grew up on a trimaran down in St. Croix as well as playing around on skiffs & old aluminum V-bottoms in Galveston bay, so I want the kids to have some of the same experiences I hold onto (other than breaking down in my old 14’ V & waiting for an hour or so for someone to pass by & tow us in..). To have the connection and respect of the water at an early age is important.

Luke
Old 08-09-2013, 08:52 AM
TT Newbie

Had a chance to work a bit yesterday.

Here is picture of the motor almost ready to go:
[IMG][/IMG]

Testing out the member usage limits at the yacht club... (a few people stoped & watched, but didn't say anything)
[IMG][/IMG]

Its new home for a while:
[IMG][/IMG]

The fun begins! I had to cut all the manifold bolts off, and when I pulled the plugs there was light rust on 4 of them so.... i going to go ahead and have it freshened up while its out.
[IMG][/IMG]

A quick picture outside with the wife & kids. While the buff isn't perfect, it will do till it's up and running again.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-09-2013, 11:53 AM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1998 MariStar 225VRS
That's a clever engine stand you built. I like how the engine sits on the stand / motor mounts the same way it would sit inside the boat on the stringers. Nice! Going for a total rebuild?