Go Back   TeamTalk > Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Old 07-29-2013, 03:56 PM
TT Enthusiast

Boat: 1983 Stars and Strips
The only thing that doesn't make sense is they say the rope snapped and the metal hit her in the head? How would the rope still be attached to anything if the end is frayed off? The only other clip would be be between the end of the rope and the tube, that I could think of. Which that wouldnt have enough slack to hit anyone since its tied directly to the tube.

Unless whatever they were pulling from broke away from the boat? Believe it or not, I have seen numerous people pull tubes from cleats.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 1998 Maristar 200VRS
I have to imagine the statement about the rope snapping was wrong. Perhaps they boat had a loop of rope wrapped on the pylon or something, such that attaching the quick-clip was fast and looked secure, but it was the loop of rope that broke, not the tow line.

In any case, there is a surprising amount of energy stored in an elastic line (which poly is), when there's a heavy pull on it. Imagine the tube submarining - the line gets 1000 pounds of pull, stretches an extra foot (ask the hard-core slalom guys), the attachment to the boat breaks off, and the line retracts pulling the metal loop towards the tube at high speed.

Even in this scenario, this is a million to one accident; coming back towards the tube there's a million different paths the metal could take that wouldn't hit the young woman in a deadly spot.

I can't imagine the heartache of all involved. I wish them well.

/frank
Old 08-02-2013, 01:41 PM
MC Devotee

Boat: 2007 Prostar 197 TT #11
That is a bizarre accident. I can vouch for the line load. I had a handle line break on me getting up on a slalom (one side only). I went in a few days later for x-rays it was hurting so bad. Just a bad sprain though.